Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for airsoft

I have an airsoft gun and I want to put a laser sight on it. What's a good power for the laser to be as to not blind anyone? 10mw? I'll be using the red/ir diode from the phr.

You won't blind people unless you're stupid or go into the 100mW range, don't use the diode from the phr803t, you will need to focus it. Just use a cheap keychain,etc

The red/ir diode from a phr won't help you AT ALL. Just get a cheap red diode and use that. 1-50 is safe as long as it is not in the eyes for long enough. Usually people will blink before it does any damage anyways.

While will the phr one not help? I have it on hand and it can go up to 50mA. How many mw is that and is 50mA eye safe for airsofting?

Th0ughts said:
1-50 is safe as long as it is not in the eyes for long enough. Usually people will blink before it does any damage anyways.

Not true. 5mW is the limit for a reason; any above this and eye damage could result. I would suggest goggles for viewing 50mW, even for the dot. I would limit it to 5mW, and go with a green. They are the most visible. Make sure to get a real 5mW, and not one of those "5mW" NewWish lasers that are a lot more (or you could just pot mod it down).

-Mark

You need to focus the phr803t, with an aixiz, so might as well buy the aixiz and save yourself A LOT of trouble. For airsoft I would recommend a <5mW red. RED, since you do NOT want to see a beam at anytime while doing airsoft. I'd say anything <100mW is "safe" because people aren't stupid enough to stare into it forever, but I guess we are still evolving  ;)

I'd recommend a 5mW red instead of a green. Cheap reds are more durable. Greens are only recommended if you often play airsoft in dark.

Gazoo

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=Th0ughts link=1233185935/0#3 date=1233195398]1-50 is safe as long as it is not in the eyes for long enough. Usually people will blink before it does any damage anyways.

Not true.  5mW is the limit for a reason; any above this and eye damage could result.  I would suggest goggles for viewing 50mW, even for the dot.  I would limit it to 5mW, and go with a green.  They are the most visible.  Make sure to get a real 5mW, and not one of those "5mW" NewWish lasers that are a lot more (or you could just pot mod it down).

-Mark

[/quote]

Good post...I was going to step in here and point out that anything above 5 mw can be dangerous to one's vision but you beat me to it.

I am really amazed by some of the posts I read claiming otherwise. People, you need to be careful.

I can't really comment on whether a green or red would be better cause I am not into airsoft... :p

Heck, just buy one with the laser already on it. I bought a "Colt 1911" with the laser sight already on it at Wal-Mart.

Thanks guys, where can I get a cheap 5mW green. Is IR leak a risk in a cheap 5mW green without a ir filter?

Thanks again

No I haven't, but it's 5mw and I already have a 5mw surelaser one... I just don't know what the input voltage should be on the surelaser. I also don't generally like ordering from ebay.

Thanks though :)