Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser eye damage?

ben74

If you get hit in the eye with a powerful laser what is the best thing to do like close your eyes or blink.

chido

Close your eyes and move your head away from the beam as fast as you can, why would you want to blink only? :-?

EDIT: You could avoid being in that situation by getting some safety goggles.

ben74

When you get hit in the eye do you move or just stand still because i would move and after your out the away of the beam is the  best thing to do is close your eyes  or leave them open or blink after you moved.

i would say stay in a dark area for awhile afterwards. That way your eye can at least "attempt" to heal. After all, light is what damaged your eye in the first place; so in a way, its the enemy [smiley=evil.gif]

Razako

ben74 said:
If you get hit in the eye with a powerful laser what is the best thing to do like close your eyes or blink.
No you look into it for as long as you can ::)

chido

happy0005.gif
happy0030.gif
happy0071.gif
happy0196.gif
;D

do you guys agree with what i said earlier about not going into a bright lit area for awhile? because now that i think about it more it makes sense..sorta

After I shine my 170mW CNI in my eye I like to hold a camera up to my eye and I stare into the flash. It makes me feel all tingly inside.

If you are hit in the eye with a visible wavelength laser of sufficient power you won't even think about what you need to do. Your body reacts automatically. Your eyes will close, your head will jerk, and your body will spasm trying to get out of the way.

NIR the effect will be the same. Even though you cannot see it very well, when it's focused in the eye you react the same.

UV and mid/far IR you either feel a pop inside your eye as the retina burns (mid IR) or your vision blinks out as your cornea and lens ablates (far IR/UV).

Trust me you will react to that also.

If you do not wear eye protection when operating class IIIB or class IV lasers you get everything you deserve. When you zap yourself or your friends (and you will) and it gets reported by your doctor it just feeds more ammunition to those who would legislate laser ownership. Frankly, it's no skin off my teeth if lasers are banned by governments for private ownership as our clients are the government and universities but why would any private laser owner take such an ignorant position? Don't blink and don't close your eyes, wear frickin' safety goggles.

You don't sit in bright light or dim rooms after taking a shot to the eye. You go to your doctor and find out what you did to yourself. At the expense of alienating some of you, I cannot frickin' believe the ignorance some people show toward eye safety. Once again, part of the cost of the hobby is the necessary safety equipment. I know you want to get the largest laser you can afford so you can do the "my p e n i s is bigger than your p e n i s" with other laser owners but my god is it really worth damaging your eyesight for life? If you think yes then enjoy the retinal burns and let everyone know so they can blame you when private ownership is restricted.

L4sers

This is one thing I do not understand:

If you shine a 50mW laser at a wall 15ft away, will there be MORE than 50mW of IR if its leaking or LESS than 50mW? I have heard people say there will be around 10-40mW of IR, is that added onto the 50mW? Or is it just like 10-40mW, and it might even be less than 10mW if the laser is shot from 15ft away...

Razako

L4sers said:
This is one thing I do not understand:

If you shine a 50mW laser at a wall 15ft away, will there be MORE than 50mW of IR if its leaking or LESS than 50mW? I have heard people say there will be around 10-40mW of IR, is that added onto the 50mW? Or is it just like 10-40mW, and it might even be less than 10mW if the laser is shot from 15ft away...
A 50mw laser will probably be leaking 10-30mw of IR in addition to the green light. If you point the laser at a distant object the total amount of IR hitting the object will be much less however because most of it will have spread out and dispersed.

styropyro said:
After I shine my 170mW CNI in my eye I like to hold a camera up to my eye and I stare into the flash. It makes me feel all tingly inside.
Made me curious to know what's the equivalent to a laser output of a common camera flash :p