Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser cutting potential

Hi all.

I am in the first stages of doing a research paper on alternative methods for cutting building materials and am just after some basic input from people with some experience using/working with lasers.

Simply put, would it be possible for a laser to be used on a construction site to cut through bricks, blocks, paving slabs, concrete lintels etc.?

If so, how powerful would it need to be and how dangerous would it be for workers to use?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me, I really have no expertise in this area!!

DrSid

All those materials are very resistant to heat, while relatively weak against abrasion. I'm afraid lasers will never be effective in cutting those. It's almost impossible to do it today, much less with small and affordable equipment.
Laser is used for cutting sheet metal, wood, foils .. stuff like that. In principle laser is not all that different from cutting torch.
Also lasers at these powers are dangerous. All cutting is done in fully enclosed machines, where the beam cannot leave the machine.
You know those small red laser pointers ? That is basically strongest safe laser, under 5mW, or 5 thousandth of Watt. For cutting sheet metal you need tens of Watts, or even hundreds.

Last edited:
Yeah, people actually use bricks and stuff as laser beamstops, precisely because they are very resistant to laser energy.

Please know that I'm by no means an expert; lasers are just my hobby :)

And by the way, are high-power lasers legal to own in China?