Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser color passive safety?

Hello guys
I´m going to have some burning laser. I have special question about optic power –
You know that green laser is way more visible and “powerfull” for your eye. Is it safer to choose some not so visible(red) laser for burning, when you see it without goggles(people hust watching the trick), or the visibility does not really matter for your eye safety when you look at the laser dot? (which makes green laser potentially safer, because “you don´t want to see” that strong shine, while “you don´t mind the weak red” just destroying your eye).
I hope you know what I mean.

200mW is 200mW, weather it is red or green. They will both do the same amount of damage. You really need glasses when doing burning tricks.

I will do for sure. But other people just watching my tricks from few meters far. What do you think about it? No matter which color in visible spectrum is it?

Last edited:
Well it depends, if there is a chance for a reflection I would say yes, but just lighting a match should be ok. I think by the time the light gets to those people the light will have diffused enough off of a normal reflection off a match head to not do any damage.

You might wait for some confirmation on this though, I would suggest goggles for everyone but it might not be necessary.

On the another forum section, they said there is no way to buy cheap strong (+200mW)red laser, so I´ll be pushed to buy another color (typically green). But still it´s interesting, good to know.

Benm

I'd say the same power of green has a bit of a safety benefit: It does the same amount of damage on exposure, but since it appears brighter you might be more inclined to avoind exposure in the first place.

Yes, you get it:
makes green laser potentially safer, because “you don´t want to see” that strong shine
If amount of reflected power is the same from color to color, it is better to see, what does it really do with your eye.

Huh? It burns holes in your retina. Green is just brighter and will be harder to look at than red which would make you more hesitant to stare at the dot or beam. I think that is what Bemm is saying

I mean the same, only different words used. If you are not "scared out" from that strong shine, you are just going to damage your eye. That´s why green is potentionally safer, because you see the power straight out.

It´s the same as some stupid users here(not stupid, only not educated) just looking into their broken lasers aperture if they don´t see any light.
How risky!

Benm

Huh? It burns holes in your retina. Green is just brighter and will be harder to look at than red which would make you more hesitant to stare at the dot or beam. I think that is what Bemm is saying

Its what i meant anyway.

Green tends to be so bright you have a sensation of 'this is dangerous!' at lower power levels compared to red. It's by no means a foolproof mechanism, but just the sensation of something being 'insanely bright' could trigger someone to avoid exposure.

Right! Somebody with better english skill was neccesary :) That was the most understandable explanation. THX.