Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Care?

I have a brand new 100mW green laser pointer and want to know about how to keep it working in tip top shape. my friend burnt his out some how and im worried ill do the same. So does anyone have any good tips on peserving the a laser so it doesnt die out?
thank you :beer:

Don't exceed the duty cycle. Don't drop it. Avoid static charges. Don't put the batteries in backwards.

When a dpss laser is run for a while it gets hot. When it gets too hot the laser can be damaged. A duty cycle is a maximum safe length of time that the laser can be operated continuously followed by a minimum cool-down time. A good manufacturer will give you a duty cycle with the laser. Frequently for 100 mW units, I see 30 seconds on followed by 30 seconds off, although some with better heat sinks can run longer.

Keep it clean as well. You want to keep anything involving optics out of the dirt, dust, smoke, etc. If nothing else, keep it in a ziplock bag while your not using it.