Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Laser array wiring help

bingbong223

I'm a somewhat new hobbyist and not very experienced with electronics in general. I'm working on my second array and i'd like some help to understand the wiring. I have a laser driver that can output 120v at 15A, and I am trying to drive the NUBM37 125w laser. I currently have it set up with the positive output of the driver connected to every positive pin on the array, and same for the negative. I have done some research and I think this is parallel wiring, but I have also been told that I would have to have a very large amount of current for this to work, which my driver cannot output, and I should wire it in series. Could someone explain this further and possibly provide a graphic on how I could do this? thank you

Each laser diode needs about 4 - 4.5V when you drive them all in series @ 3 - 4A so lets say you want to start at 3.0 amps, you will need about 4v for each laser diode and there are 24 so you need about 96V @ 3A and that's with all 4 strings of 6 laser diodes each in series.

What you must do is limit the current and the array won't flow any more voltage than what's needed..... so you limit your 120V power supply to 3A and 96v will flow when all diodes are wired in series.

If you could wire all 24 laser diodes in parallel, then you would need only 4 volts but at 72 amps, but that's not possible so wire it in series.

**NOTE: You MUST have your array heat sinked with quality thermal paste or it will be destroyed quickly.
Always use proper laser safety equipment and lase safely.
s-l1600.webp

Last edited:
Each laser diode needs about 4 - 4.5V when you drive them all in series @ 3 - 4A so lets say you want to start at 3.0 amps, you will need about 4v for each laser diode and there are 24 so you need about 96V @ 3A and that's with all 4 strings of 6 laser diodes each in series.

What you must do is limit the current and the array won't flow any more voltage than what's needed..... so you limit your 120V power supply to 3A and 96v will flow when all diodes are wired in series.

If you could wire all 24 laser diodes in parallel, then you would need only 4 volts but at 72 amps, but that's not possible so wire it in series
to clarify the image, I am connecting the positive wire from the driver to an outer positive pin (does furthest down or up matter?), and then connecting the negative wire to the furthest opposite negative pin, and then connecting a completely seperate wire from each negative pin to the corresponding positive pin as in the image?

Last edited:
could you verify that this is correct?, also, is the heatsink for the array conductive? should I have to worry about wires hitting it? @RedCowboy 1723428255747.png

Series, all 4 rows of 6 will be in series.
Your image appears to be correct.
Yes the gold colored housing is conductive.

screenshot-383-png.77060

NUBM37-455nm-125w-ld-module%20(4).jpg

Last edited:
Series, all 4 rows of 6 will be in series.
Your image appears to be correct.
Yes the gold colored housing is conductive.

screenshot-383-png.77060

NUBM37-455nm-125w-ld-module%20(4).jpg
i noticed that 96v at 3A is about 280 watts, how does the system work in the way that that would be a good setting for it, when the laser is only 125watts?

The arrays are rated in OUTPUT watts, they are NOT 100% efficient, not even close, 280W in to get 125W of light and 155W of waste heat is what you get..... roughly..... actually I think the 125W output is at 3.5A so ( 3.5A x ( 4.5V x 24 diodes )) = 378W input for 125W output light and 253W waste heat.

Note you need 96V @ 3A and 108V @ 3.5A .... roughly, but you limit the current and the array will flow the voltage it needs, just limit the current.

Last edited:

Back