Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

keeping a pointer cool

If I found a way to keep my green laser pointer nice and cool would it be possible to run it for as long as the batteries will last? could I just go outside in the freezing cold and wind and keep it on as the barrel of the laser probably won't exceed 60F? I just want to test how long certain types of batteries last under constant stress. I am testing a >130mW alpha from NOVAlasers the power doesn't decline until both batteries are putting out under 1.1V under no stress so I think it only need about 2V to run

I'm still a noob but even i can guess that it should be possible, how else can manufacturers estimate the batter life of certain things other than a shot in the dark

Keeping the batteries cool will make them last longer, but wont that effect the laser its self as they don't like cold? I refridgerate my cell phone batteries. lol

jonrobertd said:
Keeping the batteries cool will make them last longer, but wont that effect the laser its self as they don't like cold? I refridgerate my cell phone batteries. lol
nothing will get over 60F in this weather ;) and the wind should help dissipate the heat that is generated :p

maxkillz said:
If I found a way to keep my green laser pointer nice and cool would it be possible to run it for as long as the batteries will last? could I just go outside in the freezing cold and wind and keep it on as the barrel of the laser probably won't exceed 60F? I just want to test how long certain types of batteries last under constant stress. I am testing a >130mW alpha from NOVAlasers the power doesn't decline until both batteries are putting out under 1.1V under no stress so I think it only need about 2V to run

Your idea of operating them in cold weather won't work. Green lasers have an optimal operating temperature range.

Switch

steve001 said:
[quote author=maxkillz link=1226197777/0#0 date=1226197777]If I found a way to keep my green laser pointer nice and cool would it be possible to run it for as long as the batteries will last? could I just go outside in the freezing cold and wind and keep it on as the barrel of the laser probably won't exceed 60F? I just want to test how long certain types of batteries last under constant stress. I am testing a >130mW alpha from NOVAlasers the power doesn't decline until both batteries are putting out under 1.1V under no stress so I think it only need about 2V to run

Your idea of operating them in cold weather won't work. Green lasers have an optimal operating temperature range.
[/quote]
Yea , and in cold weather it will stabilize just nicely, if not you can help warming it a bit in your hand. :p I used to leave my diy red on for 10-20 minutes at a time on a tripod in the cold.This might not work as well with a DPSS but if you keep it in your hand it should be ok. :-/

Switch said:
[quote author=steve001 link=1226197777/0#4 date=1226324064][quote author=maxkillz link=1226197777/0#0 date=1226197777]If I found a way to keep my green laser pointer nice and cool would it be possible to run it for as long as the batteries will last? could I just go outside in the freezing cold and wind and keep it on as the barrel of the laser probably won't exceed 60F? I just want to test how long certain types of batteries last under constant stress. I am testing a >130mW alpha from NOVAlasers the power doesn't decline until both batteries are putting out under 1.1V under no stress so I think it only need about 2V to run

[/quote]
Yea , and in cold weather it will stabilize just nicely, if not you can help warming it a bit in your hand. :p I used to leave my diy red on for 10-20 minutes at a time on a tripod in the cold.This might not work as well with a DPSS but if you keep it in your hand it should be ok. :-/[/quote]
hmm, so if I can stabilize the temp using my hands to warm it up a bit could I run it for long periods of time?

maxkillz said:
[quote author=Switch link=1226197777/0#5 date=1226345023][quote author=steve001 link=1226197777/0#4 date=1226324064][quote author=maxkillz link=1226197777/0#0 date=1226197777]If I found a way to keep my green laser pointer nice and cool would it be possible to run it for as long as the batteries will last? could I just go outside in the freezing cold and wind and keep it on as the barrel of the laser probably won't exceed 60F? I just want to test how long certain types of batteries last under constant stress. I am testing a >130mW alpha from NOVAlasers the power doesn't decline until both batteries are putting out under 1.1V under no stress so I think it only need about 2V to run

[/quote]
Yea , and in cold weather it will stabilize just nicely, if not you can help warming it a bit in your hand. :p I used to leave my diy red on for 10-20 minutes at a time on a tripod in the cold.This might not work as well with a DPSS but if you keep it in your hand it should be ok. :-/[/quote]
hmm, so if I can stabilize the temp using my hands to warm it up a bit could I run it for long periods of time?[/quote]

Hands get cold quick. This is only a guess. Proper operating temps runs from about 70 - 85 degrees. You could call the company and ask them what the optimal operating temps are.