Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just a few questions...

CUSNS

Hey Guys,

As you can see i am a new account but a reasonable long time lurker, but i've got a few questions about my first laser build.

I have probably got this wrong, so if i have please bare with me and help me out - and suggest alternative parts or methods

Right, my first build - or as i see it in my uninitiated head is that it will use a LPC-815 diode extracted from a sled, it will also use a driver build around a LM317 regulator (described here http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html). This is where my first question is, what Ohm resistor do i need to use to pull around 200mW which according to Dr. Lava's graph (http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/diode_red_roundup.PNG) is around 350mA? Would it be around a 3.5Ohm?

Then my second question is about what module/mount do i need for my diode. I have looked at the AixiZ modules and am confused as to which would fit my needs, do these modules come with Drivers in? In which case my LM317 driver is redundant? I am not to worried about a host at the moment so size isn't an issue, this build is more of a proof of concept, that i can actually do it! Basically can you guys give me a few pointers and give me a hand?

Thanks in advance :wave:

P.S. Can anyone recommend some good suppliers/shops in the Uk for this sort of thing?

I'm in the UK and have an LM317 and LPC-815 available if you're interested (Aixiz modules are on the way to me from the US, but there have been some issues with shipping).

The LM317 creates a reference voltage of 1.25V, so you can use Ohm's law to work out the required resistance (1.25 = Resistance in Ohms X Current in Amps) - gives 3.57 ohms for 350mA.

The most common module is an Aixiz module - 12mm by 30mm, lens (Acryllic) included, no driver. That's fine for a first build. You won't fit an LM317 driver inside the module though - you'll have to have it on the outside, or with the back of the module removed.

CUSNS

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

I am fine getting these parts - thanks all the same, i was more asking about future builds and other odds and ends for lasers. I'm still slightly confused as to which Module you are talking about, would it be one of these (AixiZ) if so which one?

And if i make this driver would i then be able to replace it with this (200mW red laser diode driver / constant current /current adjusta [OLRDB-200] - $3.89 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products) if it works?

Thanks again

Last edited: