Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this Thor 3W legit?

TNG

Hello all
I was looking at getting this:
https://laserpointerstore.com/thor-m-2-laser-pointer
I understand the seller is a member of this forum. I would prefer to have a blue laser that can run off 18650s, as I have a lot of those already plus a high-quality charger for them. Doesn't appear to be anything in that range, so I'd also have to buy some batteries from him. Will this laser be able to reach that power level with those batteries, and if so for how long?
I already own these glasses, which I believe were specifically tested for blue lasers and block well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ety+lenses&dpPl=1&dpID=41xZuWrtIsL&ref=plSrch
I will be using this laser in a very limited capacity, so safety will not be an issue for me.
I have a side question though about glasses in general. If a burning laser were to directly hit glasses, what's to stop burning through the glasses themselves?
Thank you

Edit: currently living in Japan, not sure how much of a problem shipping and customs will be. I got a feeling it will be more difficult with the lithium ion batteries included…

Last edited:

GSS

Hi TNG, like all will say it would be nice of you to do a intro post:)
Laserpointerstore has units that take 18650's, so my guess is it's about money issue's?
The 16340's will power this 3W unit but for how long before re charging I can't answer?
You might also want to send them a question as to what diode the 3W is using as I personaly don't think for $20 more its capable of 3W's..maby 2W+ which is more than enough..
Limited use or not "safety" always is an issue regardless to how much little burning you might or not do.
Those Uvex glasses aren't laser glasses but a few members noticed they offer some protection at 2W or less..They should protect from a quick direct accidental hit but a 1W laser will burn through in a matter of a couple seconds of direct exposesure..

Last edited:
NO, Don't use those glasses for laser protection, they even say that they block 98% of " blue light " 450nm is almost into purple, but even if it does what it says and blocks all but 2% of 3 watts that's 60mw and that's way too much to get hit in the eye with, buy glases rated in OD+ as each number is a multiple of 10, 1 being they allow 1/10 of the light through and 2 is 1/100 or 1% so a pair of OD+2 glasses are twice as good, you would get 30mw, still too much, so 3 would be 1/1000, 4 is 1/10000 so a pair of OD+5 is 1/100,000 or 1/1000 of 1% or 0.03 mw That's safe.

So if your laser is 3000mw that's 3 watts and your glasses block 98% you get 60mw
OD+1 = 300mw = In your eye if you get hit. NO GOOD!
OD+2 = 30mw = Still too much.
OD+3 = 3mw = Acceptable but we can do better.
OD+4 = 0.3mw = This is where most of our glasses start.
OD+5 = 0.003mw = I have these.
OD+6 = 0.0003mw = I also have these.
Buy them HERE >>>> http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

Last edited:
I received a Thor H 445nm 1.6 watt laser to review from laserpointerstore.com. That one took two 26650 batteries, was very well built and had two power settings and strobe as well. I haven't seen any of their other products, but the one I do have is very nice and I would recommend it to anyone. The googles are not satisfactory as has been said here already. I think the run times with 16340 batteries would be limited and would depend greatly on the quality of the batteries you decide to buy. For the money, you can do better with the batteries than this seller. Hope this helps.

TNG

Cheers guys.
These kits that are being sold over eBay etc. that include a pair of glasses, or the ones being sold at the store I linked, are these glasses also unsuitable for lasers?
The owner of the store appears to be a member here, so I thought it would be more legit than some random eBay seller. You believe the output of the diode may not be what's claimed on the site? I asked a few other questions to him before, and to be frank, he's not completely informed about all the products he selling, but eager to sell them.
GSS, I asked him about that, but none of his lasers are capable of running full power on 18650s.
Paul, I think I read your review before. If I ordered the exact same lazer that you got for the review, would it likely be the same quality?

Last edited:

diachi

If I ordered the exact same lazer that you got for the review, would it likely be the same quality?

Could have been my review, we both received the same model for review.

But yes, both myself and Paul received units that had just about the same output power in full power mode and were both up to spec (1.6W). I think mine made an extra 200mW in low power mode, but peak power was as advertised and they didn't advertise a power for the low power mode IIRC, so no big deal.

That said... not sure the models we reviewed are for sale yet...? Might still only be the older models that are available.

That is correct. Diachi and myself both received the same laser and we both reviewed them. At the time of the review, that particular laser wasn't yet available, but I think it might be now. If it is, it holds two 26650 batteries, which are much larger than 16340 or 18650 batteries. I believe they were going to sell these for ~$90.00 for the laser alone. For that amount of money they are a good deal. I know that they do offer smaller versions, but you will know by the batteries it takes.