Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this strange laser refraction okay to look at?

Peter Landstrom

I accidental discovered that if I shine a red 5mw laser into a closed-off thin orange plastic tube, that the tube illuminates in a SUPPER cool way. There is a picture of it below, but it looks different in person than it does in the image. Here is my question: I want to make some cool looking art using this cool effect, but I don't know if it is okay for the eyes to stare at this laser refraction for extended periods of time. Any information regarding any possible long term eye damage from staring at this laser refraction would be much appreciated.

View attachment 69874

Thanks!

Attachments

• laser_refraction.jpg
    laser_refraction.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 20

I accidental discovered that if I shine a red 5mw laser into a closed-off thin orange plastic tube, that the tube illuminates in a SUPPER cool way. There is a picture of it below, but it looks different in person than it does in the image. Here is my question: I want to make some cool looking art using this cool effect, but I don't know if it is okay for the eyes to stare at this laser refraction for extended periods of time. Any information regarding any possible long term eye damage from staring at this laser refraction would be much appreciated.

View attachment 69874

Thanks!
Go for it. You'll be fine. It's probably fluorescence you see.