Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it worth it?

I got a $25 USD debit card for christmas, and I feel like spending some money. On amazon, I found a <30mW green laser for 20 bucks, made by the same company as my <5mW green laser which I was EXTREMELY pleased with. I was just wondering if I'm going to see a true difference between my 5mW (which is now broken) and this 30mW. For instance, can I magnify this to burn things? Is the dot brighter? Can I see the beam in daylight? Just a few questions.

The 5mW is only 15, so should I just go with that instead?

Please give me some input, thanks
Jordan

PS The 5mW version, which looks exactly the same, was able to be pot modded. Can a 30mW pot modded do some damage? What kind of improvement could I expect to see from pot modding the laser.

I've heard bad things about higher powered lasers from amazon :-/

you get what you pay for..most of the time. I would go for optotronics pen style pointers if I wanted a lower power one.

the >30mW one from optotronics is $71USD but it will definitely put out more than 30mW and will have great beam specs ;D

for a bit more money go to NOVAlasers. they come in a nice case, and IMO the laser itself looks a lot nicer ;D

Yea I've been looking at the x100, but I really just want to get something quick with the debit card. I was hoping I could at least get something that could produce a nice beam :-/. I might order it just for the hell of it. The 5mW one on there is only 13 and I used that alllll the time, so I figure a few bucks more would only be better.