Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is a "perfect" laser company not too far off?

ixfd64

I've noticed that several of the most popular laser companies have certain advantages in the market (and some have disadvantages, too):

Wicked Lasers

Specific advantages:

1. most popular laser company
2. frequent and innovative contests
3. currently the only company to sell high-powered pen-style red lasers
4. currently the only company to sell portable 405 nm lasers

Specific disadvantages:

1. high prices
2. quality problems, including serious cosmetic issues
3. dishonest

Comments: Wicked Lasers was once one of the most respected laser companies, but many customers lost respect for Wicked after learning of its dishonest marketing practices. Wicked also lost many customers when they learned of its quality issues. For example, many of Wicked's lasers are underpowered and have mode issues. Wicked also uses cheap paint, which falls off the lasers and cases very easily.

Optotronics

Specific advantages:

1. has among the lowest prices
2. has the longest lifetimes (80,000 hours)

Specific disadvantages:

1. double beam issue
2. inaccurate labels

Comments: Optotronics has among the lowest prices, and its products are known to be very reliable. The only issue is the double-beam problem. It is said that many DPSS lasers have double beams, and it's commonly accepted that this isn't a major problem, as the laser still works properly. However, nobody knows for sure whether the second beam will cause damage in the long run. Also, Optotronics' labels are a bit inaccurate (they do not show output and wavelength), but this is a very small problem.

LaserGlow

Specific advantages:

1. has portable lasers of the highest output
2. voted to be the best company on LPF
3. only company to offer a high-powered 635 nm laser
4. only trustable company to offer portable red lasers

Specific disadvantages:

1. lasers are larger and bulkier

NOVALasers

Specific advantages:

1. appears to have the best specs
2. only company to offer reliable high-powered pen-style green lasers

Specific disadvantages:

1. currently only sells green lasers

Obviously, each of these companies have their advantages and disadvantages. Do you think a company will soon have all of theses advantages and none of the disadvantages? Perhaps companies should start offering DPSS 671 nm lasers. They are more expensive, but have far better beam qualities. Any company that makes portable DPSS 671 nm lasers would be just awesome.

Nope! If there were one hands-down obvious choice life sure would be easy huh? There will always be one thing that's better for one circumstance, and one that's better for the other though. If I go to a store to buy pretty much anything, I always have choices of brands, and there's always a reason to choose one or the other depending on the situation. Same will be the case with lasers. Personally, I like it better that way anyhow.

Ref

ixfd64 said:
Optotronics

Specific advantages:

1. has among the lowest prices
2. has the longest lifetimes [highlight](80,000 hours)[/highlight]
Good lawd! Did you mean 8,000 hours, or do I need to put another paycheck aside for something? lol

*Edit* Why did I just ask that when I have perfectly good URL typing fingers? ;D Yep. 80k hours. Nice.

Justin

The figure of 80k hours for the diode is the figure that comes directly from the laser diode manufacturer. This figure shows the lifetime for the diode only, under ideal lab conditions (controlled temperature, clean DC power, no shock from handheld use). The diodes used in MOST handheld lasers, ours included, have this spec attached to them. The actual lifetime of a portable laser device like this in the real world is closer to 5000-6000 hours and this is what is listed on Laserglow's website, even though we use the same diodes as Optotronics, more or less.

Not trying to rag on Optotronics for any reason, but I wanted to point out what this spec actually means. No handheld device is going to last for >9 years of continuous operation, this is just a number for the diode under ideal operating conditions in a perfect lab setting.

ixfd64

I posted this in the wrong forum. Could someone please move this topic to the Companies forum?

Thanks.