Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is 808nm extremely dangerous?

It was definitely not obvious what we was after. He sort of posed a question in the title and sort of answered it. The 3rd post raises more questions. There is probably a language barrier.

lipo99

It was definitely not obvious what we was after. He sort of posed a question in the title and sort of answered it. The 3rd post raises more questions. There is probably a language barrier.

My 3rd post is in response to Things's 2nd post. Things claims that the 808nm resembles a flashlight and could not be used as an assault weapon.

I was telling him if I had a 808nm laser and standing at level 2, wouldn't I be able to blind someone from level 1 without even him knowing? I apologize for my language as I was using my smartphone to type the message.

My 3rd post is in response to Things's 2nd post. Things claims that the 808nm resembles a flashlight and could not be used as an assault weapon.

I was telling him if I had a 808nm laser and standing at level 2, wouldn't I be able to blind someone from level 1 without even him knowing? I apologize for my language as I was using my smartphone to type the message.

It really depends on the power. Most lasers don't have a very far burning distance... I doubt a handheld IR would burn from really far!

jArdi

It really depends on the power. Most lasers don't have a very far burning distance... I doubt a handheld IR would burn from really far!

Burn, probably not. but would 1w of any laser do damage to your retina even at, say 150-200ft? if not, more?

DrSid

Burn, probably not. but would 1w of any laser do damage to your retina even at, say 150-200ft? if not, more?

It's really hard to tell where the thin borderline lays. High power IR have usually very bad beam specs. Also IR is not well absorbed by retina. It won't do as much damage as 445nm would do at the same power. On the other hand eye would not react by contracting pupils or triggering blinking reflex, so the exposure would be longer. On the other hand, you might not try to 'focus' on the laser, which again could help a bit.

Someone volunteering to be a test subject ? :beer:

It's really hard to tell where the thin borderline lays. High power IR have usually very bad beam specs. Also IR is not well absorbed by retina. It won't do as much damage as 445nm would do at the same power. On the other hand eye would not react by contracting pupils or triggering blinking reflex, so the exposure would be longer. On the other hand, you might not try to 'focus' on the laser, which again could help a bit.

Someone volunteering to be a test subject ? :beer:

5 dolla! and I'll do it :p

jArdi

5 dolla! and I'll do it :p

2 dolla and a glass of orange juice :D

Now there we're back on topic here......

but what do you say about something >200nm and <400nm? higher frequency, relatively invisible. i mean i havent heard of any <400nm diodes out there, but say theoretically speaking, more damage than 808nm?
and how about if the 808 (original 808 we were talking about) was PERFECTLY collimated? I mean in a perfect world..

DrSid

2 dolla and a glass of orange juice :D

Now there we're back on topic here......

but what do you say about something >200nm and <400nm? higher frequency, relatively invisible. i mean i havent heard of any <400nm diodes out there, but say theoretically speaking, more damage than 808nm?
and how about if the 808 (original 808 we were talking about) was PERFECTLY collimated? I mean in a perfect world..

Well we know rather well what 1W of 445nm can do from up close ..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

But it's hard to judge how it would scale to 808nm. It all depends on absorption. I think we can say the damage would be less with same exposure .. but how much less I dare not say.