Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is 100mW too bright for star pointing/astronomy?

moontower

What is the ideal power for astronomy uses? I don't wanna blind my friends while we're out under dark skys.

KayEm

What is the ideal power for astronomy uses? I don't wanna blind my friends while we're out under dark skys.

100mw 520 or 532nm green is perfect for astronomy, just make sure to not point directly at the sky objects. Instead, move the beam around the object.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
100mw 520 or 532nm green is perfect for astronomy, just make sure to not point directly at the sky objects. Instead, move the beam around the object.
Uh no you turn the laser off until the "object" passes

I think he meant objects like the moon and bright stars so that the point of the laser isn't lost in the bright object, just make a circle around the star.

As for moving objects in the sky, do NOT lase them.

NEVER shine a laser at any person, vehicle or aircraft or into the pathway of any aircraft or in the direction of any aircraft.

I don't shine a laser into the sky if I can see or hear anything flying no matter how far away or what direction it's in, I find the early hours of the AM are the best time to stargaze when there is no air traffic and I make it a point to Stop/Look/Listen before lasing and beware of the horizon over a treeline, an aircraft could appear from the edge of a treeline in the distance, so stay away from it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Stop/Look/Listen is the best advice. The gun anology is overused but in this example it’s a good one. You wouldn’t just shoot at something without first identifying the target and being absolutely sure you are not firing at a unintended target. It only takes one accident. Be aware that some air traffic does not show up on flight radars, especially some military flights.