Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR laser Diode - googles - output waves?

hello guys, i'm new in here and this is my first question i'd like to ask.
i would like to say that i used the search button but found no results for my question. I am sorry in the case i missed it.

so, i am building my first laser and i am documenting all my project detail by detail.
it will be a 300 mW IR laser. now yes i know it's not a good idea to start with an IR laser at such power but my interest is on this one so i will not switch to another wavelength after what i spent already.

my question is simple:
this is the diode i bought:
808nm 300mW High Power Burning Laser Diode DIY Lab New - eBay (item 270639174867 end time Oct-23-10 04:48:33 PDT)
the common 300 mW diode on ebay for 3.99$ (very cheap imho)

i love my eyes so as i dont want to cook them up i decided to buy safety goggles too. it was hard to find some "cheap" goggles and by cheap i mean low shipping costs -.- but i finally found and bought those:
808nm safety goggles [OLSF808] - $36.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

now i'd like to know from you that i suppose are experienced and aknoweledged if those goggles are good and will protect me while working with the laser (supposing i am not going to point it at myself even while wearing the goggles & that i will do my best not to get reflexions).
also, is this kind of laser outputting 808nm wave only or will it output something else like 1064nm wave?

thank you already for an answer,
sincerely
Nikooo777

Arayan

Welcome to LPF :beer:
I also found this cheap glasses Laser Glasses - Infrared (IR) protection 740-1100nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers but those from o-like confer a higher protection (OD>5). If you want a very good goggles I sell these from Laseglow http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-laser-safety-glasses-808-nm-laserglow-445-532-nm-53918.html ;)
also, is this kind of laser outputting 808nm wave only or will it output something else like 1064nm wave?
generally these diodes outputting only a WL approx. of 808nm.

EDIT: these http://www.laser2go.com/808.htm are very good (OD>4), cheap and free shipping :)

Last edited:
If those O-like glasses are anything like their red laser glasses, they wont block very much of it at all. I would suggest you stick to a reputable brand for safety glasses since you can't really afford to cheap out on those with IR. I hear OEM makes some top notch glasses in many different wavelengths.

These here have outstanding specifications at the wavelength you are working with:

http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_13&products_id=23

chart-di8.gif

Last edited:
holy!
thanks for the answer anyway those goggles are a way too expensive for me, i really cant buy those. i'll make sure i'll work with less power than the maximum one ...

E: the ones from l2g are good cheap goggles true but i contacted the seller and he told me that shipping to switzerland is NOT free and would have costed me 15$ more :/

Last edited: