Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR Goggles SCAM!

Well, you all know I love to complain about scammers, and that's exactly what I'm gunna do in this post. The goggles in this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150163389368&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11 have been showing up on eBay and the like.

The seller claims 3OD at 800-850nm. I just tested out a pair and the OD is in the 1.5-2.0 range - not good enough for the 400mW IR lasers I sell, and far worse than the 3OD Glendales I'm sadly running low on.

Do not buy if you're looking to work with high power near IR lasers!

Here's a pic of the model from the seller's auction:
Goggle808_850.jpg

did you tell the seller this? i mean, i don't like to think bad of people without good reason, and it's always possible the seller was being scammed or told misinfo from the original supplier.

marianne said:
did you tell the seller this? i mean, i don't like to think bad of people without good reason, and it's always possible the seller was being scammed or told misinfo from the original supplier.

I will be getting in touch with them shortly. I agree, its not certain that the seller is intentionally ripping off anyone. The fact stands though, that knowingly or unknowingly, they are ripping people off and I just want to alert everyone to be on the watch! Sorry if I didn't make that clear :-/

that's ok, i'm sure everyone appreciates the warning, and perhaps if the seller gets a decent supplier they'll end up being a great source of goggles! :)

these would give a false sense of security, perhaps more dangerous than no glasses at all. I agree with Pseudo, don't buy these unless you really know what you're doing and are not using high powered IR sources.

Benm

This is quite worrysome, i'd make sure to let the seller know right away.

Overdoing specs on a lasers output power is one thing, but this could potentially get someone hurt.

I was going to ask if anyone had bought and tested their red goggles...
hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/New-620nm-632nm-650nm-760nm-Red-Laser-Protection-Goggle_W0QQitemZ150169641573QQihZ005QQcategoryZ48742QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

They're claiming OD4 for wavelengths between 635 and 650 or so.. from their description:
632.8nm/650nm He-Ne OD= 4
694nm Ruby OD= 4

The WL lasershades are around OD4 at 650 or are they closer to OD3?

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but did want to ask about the other goggles this seller offers.

The seller told me that their red filtering goggles were sent to a lab for testing and the ratings were verified. Not sure whether or not to believe it though :-/. I haven't personally tried a pair

With shipping (US), they're about $15 less expensive than the WL LaserShades, at least at minimum bid price. While price alone isn't a good incentive to buy goggles, if they would protect against reflected light from <250mw and still allow the spot to be seen, they might be a decent alternative or as extras for guests.

Well if you're in the US I'll get you a pair of new WL red lasershades for $46.75 shipped. That's not quite as good of a deal, but its still cheaper than WL. If I ever get my website up, they will be on there, otherwise you can send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

If this is the style of glasses, my suspicion is the vendor is buying them in bulk from zonestealth since they are offering them at $38.00 and zonestealth offers the same glasses at $28.00. I have a pair of 532nm glasses from zonestealth. These are some of the funkiest glasses I've used. Actually, I don't use them. I purchased them to test the quality and for $28.00 it was worth the money to test them. The manufacturer is somewhere in SE Asia, probably Hong Kong and there are no, none, zip, nada FDA documentation with them so don't expect them to do whatever it says they will do very well or for very long. The lenses or frames are not even marked with the OD and wavelength. I believe they are coated lenses meaning the coating can scratch exposing the user to unwanted light levels.

It's unfortunate, because I think the style is pretty slick.

Thanks for the input, FrothyChimp. I think pseudonomen137 has a much better idea.. PM sent.

Well what do you recommend for 808nm goggles? I'm currently looking for some before I get my module.
Thanks!