Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interesting Laser module and disection

docj0r

Recently I have been buying alot of ebaysers and selling them to people i know / work with. Ive stocked so many i thought i would open one up and compare it to my ebayser that i got 6 months ago, mine is a silver one with a case design i have never seen since on ebay, and it seems to put out around 50 - 70 mW with just a pot twist.

The ebaysers i have been getting latley have been a black body with silver end "s10" sort, Upon pulling it apart i found one clear thing.. It doesnt want to come apart, Infact i had to almost crush one end of it in a vice and use large multigrips to get the nose to come out of its press fit. After the nose cap came off the whole module/driver assembly simply slid out the top, The first thing I noticed on the driver / module was the presence of 2 wires (brown + green) coming from the driver board and going into the module, now the module actually unscrewed in half.. inside i could see the YVO KTP shit etc etc but mounted on the end of the crystal assembly was what looked like a beam splitter with what looked like a photo sensor with the 2 wires going into it.

Is this some sort of new output limiting system?, can it be hacked?

Well the interesting thing is on the base of the brass module the manufacturer was inscribed, Newwishlaser (www.newwishlaser.com), Now these guys make and sell this pointer (yes the source of the ebayser!) and other pointers and blue DPSS modules and green modules and all sorts, They also sell this exact module in a range between 5mW-200mW.. is it possible that these are all identical modules and they are controlled by this photosensor?

Or am I seriously on the bum steer -_-

Pics coming soon(ish)

I took appart my 30mW DX and found the same thing, exactly. A Newish module.
I found the external PD was wired backwards to the driver board.
They spent extra money. They could have used the built-in PD in the LD.
As is a [smiley=beer.gif]Pot mod didn't increase current past 250mA.

My 100mW DX has a smaller module and does'nt say Newwish, has no external PD and I can see a dark red glow with my Goggles on. IR leaking. I paid for a True model but I was ripped off I Guess? It draws 520 mA

I will to post a hack later.

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]

Cheers