Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interested in buying a "noobie" laser

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a fairly powerful (but not too powerful) laser for myself. I was thinking somewhere around 30mw would be good for me.

All the Chinese sites won't ship to the US though, so what do I do? I read they can't ship anything above 5mw which is a bit weak..

I was hoping for some recommendations on a laser + store I can buy from. Also, I've read up on safety procedure, and I'm aware of the dangers =)

thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/100mW-532nm-Power-Fixed-Pointer/dp/B003TF7I7Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

this one is an amazing deal for the mW. Though I would be surprised if it was even half of that. The other one I'm considering is

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/true-green-laser-pen-5mw-91

I would certainly need goggles if I went with the 100mw though...

Last edited:

Well I think I'm going with the 5mW from dx, that way I don't need to buy glasses and can see how much I enjoy the hobby before really investing.

With protection goggles, do you still see the beam the laser gives off, or does it make it look significantly less powerful?

thanks!

DrSid

Protection goggles are made to protect you from direct beam hit. They lower intensity of the beam from 1000 times up. On the other hand beams itself (not the dot) are not very visible. Strong lasers make beam witch is clearly visible, but never really bright (unless you use lots of smoke). So no, with goggles you don't see beam. You can usually see the dot in different color, which is caused by fluorescence of the goggles material. When you start to see color of the laser itself, it usually means the goggles are too weak.

Protection goggles are made to protect you from direct beam hit. They lower intensity of the beam from 1000 times up. On the other hand beams itself (not the dot) are not very visible. Strong lasers make beam witch is clearly visible, but never really bright (unless you use lots of smoke). So no, with goggles you don't see beam. You can usually see the dot in different color, which is caused by fluorescence of the goggles material. When you start to see color of the laser itself, it usually means the goggles are too weak.

interesting, thanks =)

so with a green laser and appropriate goggles, what color would the dot be? purple? Also I'm wondering why many people have such high powered lasers if the goggles (which you need) take so much away from the viewing experience?

My interest with pointers is with seeing the beam and watching it shoot very far. Almost like a long lightsaber =p I wonder if because of this, a high powered laser isn't for me. Although I would imagine myself using them mostly at night, outside, so goggles may not be as important (not like id risk it with a powerful beam anyway)

Last edited:

DrSid

I have only red goggles for green and blue .. blue is orange-red through the goggles, green is more like yellow.
Main use of the goggles is for burning .. and basically any testing of higher powered lasers. You can only enjoy the beam under strictly controlled conditions.
As for why people have such high powered lasers .. I can't really answer that question :-D

As for why people have such high powered lasers .. I can't really answer that question :-D

I'll take this one on! Higher powered lasers are more fun! You can burn stuff, produce an incredible beam... and generally they have much more of a WOW effect. Kind of the same reason some people get a toyota corolla and others a porsche... both get you to where you need to go, but totally different trip;)

As for dot colors, both green and blue lasers produce yellow dots through my goggles.

With regards to safety, a 30mW should be perfect for you... not too dangerous inside, but something of a beam outside. There is no crucial need to goggles I suppose, but with some of the higher powers, even the dot off of a white wall is dangerous from up close, and there is always the risk of an accident. Think of goggles sort of like restraints in a sports car... don't need 99.9% of the time, but when you do, you'll be glad you were wearing them.

produce an incredible beam... and generally they have much more of a WOW effect.

But I thought the goggles make the beam invisible :undecided:

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable using one without them. even the 5mW on dx scare me a little because i read they are usually overpowered 10-20mw =p

thanks!

Last edited:
Right. Any decent goggles do make the beam invisible.

Honestly, 5mW is not that dangerous... Generally I put on goggles for anything over 50mW though. You just have to be careful about it that's all. If you're careful and don't stare at the dot you should be fine. To me it sounds like you're aware of the danger... which is the most important thing.

Right. Any decent goggles do make the beam invisible.

Honestly, 5mW is not that dangerous... Generally I put on goggles for anything over 50mW though. You just have to be careful about it that's all. If you're careful and don't stare at the dot you should be fine. To me it sounds like you're aware of the danger... which is the most important thing.

Haha, I'm usually "too" aware of the danger in things =p

thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to order the 5mw and see how i like it =)