Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Importation of Modules and housing into Australia

Hi guys, and apologies in advance if this thread already exists; I don't have much time before I need to take action on this issue!

So I'm tossing up buying a 30mW 12mm Module from eBay (and yes I'm aware the odds are it'll be of a crap standard) and a host pointer shell for a 12mm diode from the same seller.

The reason I'm here to ask for your help is because I live in Australia, and anyone who knows anything about lasers here knows that pointers themselves are banned if they are greater than 1mW.

My question is: Can I import the housing (declared as a pen housing) and then in a separate package the module (declared as an electronic component) will customs take my parts and issue me a warning?

Also for anyone who has experience, will a 3.7V 532nm 30mW diode emit a visible beam? if so what variables are needed to display this beam?

Cheers in advance,

Yenssen :)

Welcome to LPF :)

Have the module shipped separately. It's perfectly legal to import the module, or the housing, but putting them together, you're asking for trouble. Even an imbecile government employee will see through what you are doing.

30mW is enough to emit a visible beam, at night, in the dark. How visible it will be, will also depend on particulates in the air. For example if it's foggy, or dusty, the beam will stand out a whole lot more.

duzy

You should be fine if its shipped in two separate packages. Even to the same address but just to be safe get the seller to ship it a day or two after.

I just ordered some 5 - 50mw modules and hosts off of eBay, all of it came in the same package and it arrived safe and sound, but that could have been because of the xmas rush, I think I will get the parts posted seperately next time (just in case)

I just ordered some 5 - 50mw modules and hosts off of eBay, all of it came in the same package and it arrived safe and sound, but that could have been because of the xmas rush, I think I will get the parts posted seperately next time (just in case)

Yeah, from what I know it's perfectly legal to import them but as I'm not made of money atm, and theres always that chance the customs guy will either be paranoid or not educated.

See, I'm an amateur and want to exact revenge on the government for confiscating my 10mw laser ages ago by legally sourcing the parts to make a much more fun one ;)

:lasergun:

That kind of thing ^^

Yeah, from what I know it's perfectly legal to import them but as I'm not made of money atm, and theres always that chance the customs guy will either be paranoid or not educated.

See, I'm an amateur and want to exact revenge on the government for confiscating my 10mw laser ages ago by legally sourcing the parts to make a much more fun one ;)

:lasergun:

That kind of thing ^^
It's perfectly fine. What I usually try and do is purchase the same host if you can from a different seller that way there will be slight variations.