Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm Building a DIY-HDD XY-Scanner

kendon

maybe i'll try again, but not tonight, too tired now, and i overslept today because i played with lasers for too long yesterday... ::)

and also i just scrapped the diy-scanner-from-scratch idea, i think i will save some money for some galvos since i am lacking the knowledge to build some. googled for hours, found close to nothing...

DTMF

kendon said:
i tried a few settings, the [highlight]first one actually ripped my scanner to pieces because i had the amp set to maximum volume lol[/highlight]. i tried to get something that looks at least a little bit like the rectangular with the rotating corner, no way. got some wired spyrograph-like patterns, thats all. i guess it will stay a simple audio effect. i am thinking about building a real scanner from scratch...  ::)

here's my hdd galvo burn at max volume . smoked it  :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPX111b-G-g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPX111b-G-g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wummi

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Save yourself some time - you can normally get the good parts off of eBay w/out the trouble of disassemble. The tracking assembly is often called "X-Y SCANNER" or "XY GALVO" or some other similar name by eBay sellers.

For that matter, check out http://eolsurplus.com/Photonics.html#GALVO and look at their Spectra Image scanner. I've contacted these people 5 times and can't get them to return my messages. However, what they are selling looks identical to what you need....

but a whole laserdisc player contains much more: good mirrors wir adjustable mounts, pol-cube, lenses , this xy unit and a nice HeNe tube+driver ^^ they are dirtcheap on ebay, might get one for 10-20€
and i dont have a HeNe laser jet, i want one :D cant beat that price. and the disassembling isnt much to worry, im quite good at DIYing stuff :)

carmangary said:
I think it would be a good project to do that but if you just want a cheap scanner you can find a 10K galvo set for under $100 that will better than any harddrive or laserdisc thing.

my setup till now hass cost me 20$ and thats the laser. if i wanted a plug and play scanner, where would the fun be? :D i like figuring stuff out. plugging parts together and press start - not so much... anyone can do that :D

kendon

wummi said:
my setup till now hass cost me 20$ and thats the laser. if i wanted a plug and play scanner, where would the fun be? :D i like figuring stuff out. plugging parts together and press start - not so much... anyone can do that :D

i agree 5 times, once for every sentence ;)

if i wanted a plug and play scanner i'd buy one , put it in my room and fire it up. but that has nothing to do with diy, and it is boring, because it will take about 1 hour of my time: 45 minutes of crawling ebay for the best deal, 5 mins unwrapping & setting up, 10 mins of thinking "wow that thing is cool, how could i tweak it to be even cooler?" after that i would probably rip it apart and destroy something in it while doing that.

and galvos for 100$ is
1. more than 20$
2. about 1/4 of the parts and costs for the scanner, b/c galvos alone won't scan anything...

so i appreciate your help, but that is not what we are up to here in this thread. this is about abusing hdds ;)

laserboy i dont get at all :(

laserboy, I don't even know if the creator of that quite understands it yet ;D

-Adam

No not entirely, but LaserBoy teaches me new stuff every time I work with it.

I like to tell people that LaserBoy talks to me in code.

I love to work with other people and get them into using it. It always inspires new ideas and improvments in LaserBoy!

James. :)