Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I think these will help with harvested diodes!

roSSco

You will have to put the hypertext transfer protocol colon whack whack w w w in front of my "links" ::)

EDIT: nm, I can post links now!!!
27911mg.gif

Just have to be VERY careful - if the diode pops out and in to the socket for even a millisecond - the reinsertion spike will FRY your diode. I know - i did it myself! I like sockets too.... but I will solder my diodes now.

Dave

Gazoo

Yes but there is a greater chance of frying the diode by using a socket than by soldering. I tried sockets too, and lost a few diodes. I will never use sockets again.

Ditto - I used pins from a wire-wrap DIP socket for my first attempt.
But I ended up soldering the LD into them because of the risk of a loose connection causing spikes.
I've now put 6 diodes in Aixiz modules, and on every one I've ended up soldering a capacitor, a diode, and leads onto the pins, and never killed any from heat. Just tin everything first and be as quick as you can. (Maybe it helps to be using a temperature regulated iron, but again, if you're quick about it, it shouldn't be a big deal.)

Kinda offtopic but wered you get the dancing bannana from, cant find it even when i click on more smilies.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

roSSco

I host a few hundred smilies on my website for just such an occasion.
fluffy.gif

flex.gif

Zarniwoop said:
 Just tin everything first and be as quick as you can.  (Maybe it helps to be using a temperature regulated iron, but again, if you're quick about it, it shouldn't be a big deal.)

I do that, and I bought a $3 clip on heatsink tweezers from Radio Shack, and just clip that on between the iron and whatever I'm more afraid of losing (i.e. diode).

roSSco

I need to get some of those reading glasses that they sell @ Walgreens so I can see up close. Getting old sucks.
sad2.gif