Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need some help fixing a Coby tv!

msnba3

Hello!

Im having trouble with a Coby 15" Tf-tv1513. This is a HDTV ready monitor/tv. I have a problem! I can use it for about 10 minutes then it turns off...and wont turn back on from stand-by. The red light (stand-by light) is always on. But after 6hrs i can use it again for another 15 minutes. Is there a easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT!**** For the past couple weeks its doesnt turn on at all! Stays in stand-by only! >:0!

Last edited:

It seems like a weird overheating issue. Have you tried opening it and looking in there to see if everything's still correctly attached? I've tested many Coby products and I've gotta admit their quality is sub-par. My Coby DVD failed after 6 months of use, I didn't even bother replacing the diode. The top cap fails too...

You could try cutting off its power for 10 minutes, maybe it's a weird memory thing (I know this is a strange answer but sometimes I have problems like these with my wireless keyboard setup and that's the way it gets fixed).

msnba3

It seems like a weird overheating issue. Have you tried opening it and looking in there to see if everything's still correctly attached? I've tested many Coby products and I've gotta admit their quality is sub-par. My Coby DVD failed after 6 months of use, I didn't even bother replacing the diode. The top cap fails too...

You could try cutting off its power for 10 minutes, maybe it's a weird memory thing (I know this is a strange answer but sometimes I have problems like these with my wireless keyboard setup and that's the way it gets fixed).

Okay..Well i took it apart and found HORRIBLE soldering on the power wires. With my suck 3.0mp camera phone that i only had at the time i got sucky pics..but i am going to re-solder it soon and see how that works! thanks alot! here are some pics! :
tv1-1.jpg

Great, let me know how it went :)

Even if it sounds unusual these problems may be generated by little things like what you said in your post, so give it a try ;)!

msnba3

Great, let me know how it went :)

Even if it sounds unusual these problems may be generated by little things like what you said in your post, so give it a try ;)!

Haha i tried it and no luck! Still wont come off stand-by. I forgot to mention the last week it hasnt been turning on AT ALL! >:[!
This is what i thought it would be:

-Faulty button ~ looked and they all seemed to be fine
-Poor power connection to motherboard ~ Re-soldered it and no luck

Well i dont know what to do and im almost close to chuckin the god damn thing.
Any other help would be GREATLY appreciated !

Thanks! :]

If you have a multimeter test all big capacitors or things which may look differently coloured than they should.

If it's somewhat old there's a chance the backlight is burning out... The backlights in most LCD's are CCFL, basically a tiny florescent lamp. When they're dying but not quite dead, they tend to only stay on for a short period of time. If you turn the brightness all the way down does it stay on longer?

msnba3

If it's somewhat old there's a chance the backlight is burning out... The backlights in most LCD's are CCFL, basically a tiny florescent lamp. When they're dying but not quite dead, they tend to only stay on for a short period of time. If you turn the brightness all the way down does it stay on longer?

The past weeks i havent even been able to even get it to turn on! >:0