Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I killed my new IR laser

Hello, i just wanted to share this story :)

The first lm317t driver i built was just for testing a lm317t so i built that one as fast as i could. It worked good with testload etc. then i built serveral more drivers, which i put some time into.

Well i recived a 300mW ir laser today i took the first driver ive built tried with test load the driver worked fine i thought, so i connected the new diode and it ran for about 20s and then the amps dropped for some reason i pushed on a resistor and saw that the amp meter jumped from 200mA to 3,08A .

The laser died (ofc) :D

Hope someone enjoyed Reading this,
Victor

Even if it was a miserable I.R., I fail to see how you would think someone woul enjoy hearing how you coldly and maliceously MURDERED a poor, defencless laser diode. For shame! Have you no regard for the sanctity of life? "i pushed on a resistor and saw that the amp meter jumped" indicates a bad solder job. I suppose we coule let you off with negligent homicide.....
All jokes aside, sorry for your loss. check your solder joints or look for something that caused a short. Better luck next time.

Even if it was a miserable I.R., I fail to see how you would think someone woul enjoy hearing how you coldly and maliceously MURDERED a poor, defencless laser diode. For shame! Have you no regard for the sanctity of life? "i pushed on a resistor and saw that the amp meter jumped" indicates a bad solder job. I suppose we coule let you off with negligent homicide.....
All jokes aside, sorry for your loss. check your solder joints or look for something that caused a short. Better luck next time.

Its all becouse i switched to a new lm317t and couldnt get the pins out :D