Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hummer Mounted Laser in Action

Thats awesome.. but wouldnt it have been easier to shoot the laser at the back of the head of the offender?

I wonder what type / power/ wavelegnth laser they might be using.

Trevor

I believe this picture will accurately convey my sentiments.

do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg

-Trevor

Thats awesome.. but wouldnt it have been easier to shoot the laser at the back of the head of the offender?

Seeing the video of the 20 million dollar laser in use, makes me wonder why they couldn't do the same thing with a .50 caliber armor piercing round for about a buck-fifty.

Part of the Geneva convention states the use of lasers in warfare. Some tactics we think would be "cool" or "more useful" than guns, are illegal in war. On the other hand, there are also other laser uses in war that we can use legally. I could be wrong though, things change over time.

Last edited:
Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons Which May Be Deemed to Be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects (with Protocols I, II and III)

Geneva, 10 October 1980

Protocol IV,

Vienna, 13 October 1995

Protocol II, as amended,

Geneva, 3 May 1996

Objectives

"The aim of the Convention and its Protocols is to provide new rules for the protection of military personnel and, particularly, civilians and civilian objects from injury or attack under various conditions by means of fragments that cannot readily be detected in the human body by X-rays, landmines and booby traps, and incendiary weapons and blinding laser weapons. "

"Protocol IV on Blinding Laser Weapons prohibits the use of laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity. "

Nice video. The location it was filmed at is very close to where I grew up.

This video was filmed at the same location.

I believe that this particular laser is a DPSS laser rather than a chemical laser, as it only takes several KW to destroy something that is relatively close and not moving, as opposed to hundreds of required KW to destroy a moving missile or moving vehicle.

As for shooting at the IEDs to detonate them, perhaps the results of doing that would be less predictable (and more dangerous?) than igniting them with a laser.

But even though this isn't an anti-personnel laser, don't despair. They do have the Advanced Tactical laser which is designed to destroy not only equipment but to target insurgents and terrorists themselves. And there's nothing in the Geneva Convention that prevents laser weapons per-se, just those designed specifically to permanently blind people. Killing someone with a laser isn't currently off limits.