Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[How?] Turn an opencan green laserdiode into an aixiz module

TimTom

Hello Community,

don't worry, I'm just interested.
Is it possible to put out the opencan diode of a "green" laser module (like this picture at the bottom) and put it into a aixiz module without make damage?

6BDU0.jpg
(Pic from dx.com)

If yes, can someone give me a little tutorial for that?

Greetings,
TimTom

The diode in that is IR 808nm. There are two crystals that convert the light to 532nm. Without those all you have is the 808nm pump. Closest direct diode to 532 is the 520s or 515s.

Yes ^^^

The diode in all 532nm modules does not emit visible light.

If there was just a green diode in there? What would be a the purpose of the long brass module.

If you want a direct diode greenie it will cost you lots of $$$

:beer:
-Matt

TimTom

Ah.. thats why they are so expensive. Thank you very much for the education! :)

TimTom

Often i wonder why are green lasers so expensive.. because green laser modules (by example with 200mW) was just 45$ and for example 1,2W green laser modules (in the black case) about 1-2 thousand dollars. But the pricedifference is because the 45$ module has just an IR diode with IR filter and the 1,2W module has a real green diode. Did you know what i mean?

Zeebit

In case you are referring to this:
BRI3kty.jpg

These are still pumped by an IR diode.

The black box is referencing a labby setup (as we call it).

If it's 532nm, it uses the same IR process that the 200mW unit does. (I don't know of any 1W+ 520nm diode labbies commercially available yet.)

However, with higher power you need:
1) a more beefy diode
2) more heat dispersing methods
3) more beefy crystals
4) better alignment

In addition to those, labbies need a PSU which provides power to modulate, fine tune power, actively cool and maybe more... I'm not too much of a labby guy.

Those all contribute to the higher price.

Most often labbies are also IR filtered. Kinda completely necessary at that power.

__

The only 532nm laser you're going to see is DPSS, the IR --> green process.

(Yes, diode 530nm exists and can be shifted to 532... but its impractical.)

Basically, bigger laser means you need a bigger crystal set. Small crystal sets are just as finicky, but since they are so small and handling relatively small amount of power, you can get away with just sticking the crystals in a metal mount.

Larger crystals are more expensive. And as referenced earlier, they get finicky if you don't heat or cool them properly.