Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to replace a laser diode?

How do I replace the diode of a 5mw 405nm laser pen? I've always had an interest in lasers but I have never taken one apart. Right now from what I understand the window in my diode is slipping and causing it to become dim and unfocused. I can usually get it to work after much fiddling but it is beginning to become intolerable. So I have a number of queries on how to go about replecing the diode.
1. Is there a reliable place to purchase a 405nm diode for less than $40?(tight budget)
2. How do I remove the internal components of my laser from the housing?
3. How do I uninstall the current diode?
4. How do I install the new diode?
5. How do I put it all back togather?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pictures:

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25121&stc=1&d=1263153561

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25122&stc=1&d=1263153561

Attachments

• 0108001637.jpg
    0108001637.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,706
  • 0108001638.jpg
    0108001638.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,387

You could be into quite the job here. This laser is a good candidate for an upgrade if you have good DIY skills. You can get PHR-803T diodes here on the forum. This is a much more powerful diode, but should give low output if used as a replacement diode with your existing driver. You must figure out how to remove the module and driver from the pen. Hopefully they are not epoxied in. The driver board could be glued to the end of the module. The soldering here is tiny, you need to be good and accurate at soldering to remove the old diode and solder in the new one without burning up the diode or driver board. To get the old diode out of the housing it's in you'll need to punch it out from the lens side, press the new diode in carefully, do not break pins off. Then solder the driver board back on, replace any glue if necessary. Test the diode/driver assembly to make sure it actually works before you reassemble the pen.
Note that if you use a PHR, you could change drivers and get more power.

Y
Note that if you use a PHR, you could change drivers and get more power.

Not necessarily. This driver may be fine. Just use a DMM to steadily check the pots resistance. Alot of drivers range range from low ( #ma to 60ma....to high; 100ma-400ma) for special diode purposes. If this is not the case with this driver, then buy another that suites up to 100ma. That is approaching the upper limits of the PHR. You can get one here PHR-803T HD-DVD laser lens with violet laser diode blue-ray [PHR-803T] - $10.49 : Modwerx Shop and extract it, then solder it back in. Remember pin setup is for phr (blue ray) is below

---------- negative
----- not used (well depending if you are using case + or -, i guess_)
---------- positive

~Steve

---------- negative
----- not used (well depending if you are using case + or -, i guess_)
---------- positive

PHR803Tpins.gif

:)

-Kendall