Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to power a 5mW green laser with the least bulk?

I'm intending to buy a 5mW 532nm laser diode to use in pretty small housing(unconventional, not at all like a pointer), but all the ones I've seen for a reasonable price require 3V to function. Should I just buy a laser pointer, dissect it, and use the power supply from it, or is there a better way?

For that matter, will a simple 3V watch battery work for this purpose? How would I go about powering the diode with it?

Last edited:

diachi

Some more details about your project might help us give you more information.

FYI - 532nm is DPSS, so not just a diode, although it does have a pump diode.

Those 3V modules may run at a somewhat lower voltage, maybe down to 2.5V or so but how well it works will depend on the driver. The pump diode only needs ~1.8V but you need a constant current driver to drive it properly and prevent damage, that bumps your supply voltage up some due to the requirements of a linear driver. I.e. the input voltage needs to be higher than the output. Not sure you'll get a boost driver that goes any lower, at least not off the shelf.

A coin cell may not be able to provide enough current either, not sure what sort of currents they are rated for typically...

Last edited: