Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to get a blue dpss lbo crystal

Benm said:
How does that number compare to the required power for say a 1064->532 doubling crystal found in DPSS greens?

1 GW/cm2 sounds like a crazy big figure really, even with a beam 0.1 mm in size that's still in the order of 100 kW.

I guess there must be a big catch somewhere, as you rarely see any visible DPSS lasers on the market than 532 or 473 nm.

Yeah, I think the KTP has a special affinity to those IR photons, thus doubling them at much lower rates.

The lasers they used were all pulsed, so with a diode? Tough luck.
Still, now I dream about a portable yag...maybe diode-pumped, that's make it portable, a 1in-rod maybe, oooh....*dreams*

Benm

Perhaps there is more going on than just power levels though. Light from solid state lasers like NdYAG is very monochromatic, while diode lasers are all multimode on the longitudinal axis. I'd reckon the doubling process requires 2 photons of the exact same energy, while diode lasers may put out photons at a dozen discrete energies at a time.

Also, the KTP is inside the SS cavity for a typical green pointer or module, giving the 1064 more chance to interact with the doubler. This is not required though, i've seen doubling to green in action from a YAG and the crystal just lying on a plate in front of it... which was very amazing back in the day where the only green lasers were argons and a very rare HeNe.

Aseras

even if you have the crystals right and the right cavity and all it needs alignment just right to lase. you have to align everything so a resonance builds up and then bam the crystal lases, then you tweak it until you get maximum output.

I'm going to go into this with the rpl dissection and realignmet bit. I've got some video and i even did an example where i removed the vandante so it's 808->ktp and you see some little flashes as trace lines appear.