Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to clean a G1 Lens

Hello, I have a G1 lens and I tried to clean it using acohol and a microfiber cloth, and plyers holding it while I cleaned it, all this seemed to do is smear it, which actually helped and got rid of the dust but now it isn't perfectly clean, I'd like to know the proper way. Distilled water? Compressed air?

I don't know if there really is a "proper" way, but here's how I counteract that smudge you are talking about.

Rubbing alcohol works fine, but after you clean it, before you put it in the lens nut you should do one final swipe, straight across the lens, this will wipe all the little tiny particles to the edge where they will not be in the way of the laser beam.
Its very important you do it in one smooth motion, as every time you stop or change direction you leave behind micro particles that come off of any type of fibers or cloth, even microfiber.

Blowing it with a little compressed air after that wouldn't hurt either.

Blow it from the side, you should wipe and blow everything in one direction, so that the particles stuck on the lens due to static cling will at least be at the edge where they are not blocking the beam.

That's what I do, it seems like everyone has their own lens cleaning methods though.