Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How long can those portable lasers operate?

Many powerful laser pointers/portable laser are avalaible now. But I am doubting wheather they can be operated in long time. I guess after one minute the tube must be very hot if without active cooling, further the laser head can be burned. Can anybody here comment on this, with your experiences? Thanks a lot!

DrSid

Many builds here can operate with no duty cycle, limited only by battery.

Many builds here can operate with no duty cycle, limited only by battery.

Quite a few have duty cycles... Well, at least all the handheld 200+mw lasers I've noticed have duty cycles.

If we're talking about lab/fixed lasers, then yeah, that's quite right. But most handhelds have duty cycles with a few exceptions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

This depends on the laser. Some heat up more then other's. The duty cycle for the laser averages around 60 seconds on and 5 seconds off. More powerful ones may have a longer cooling period, and a longer working period. If you buy online, look at the information about them. It will tell you the duty-cycle if it even has one.