Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do you identify diode?

I was wondering how do you know what type of diode your laser has. nikokapo provided a compilation of all the diodes but I don't know what type my laser has. I was wanting to replace a diode on a broken diode laser. Maybe I do not fully understand diodes and drivers and all diodes are the same size. Could someone please clear this up for me. Thanks in advance.

P.S.- Here is the link to nikokapo's thread.

I too would like to know. Is there a 2D barcode pattern that has been decoded yet or are there tell-tale markings on the diodes somewhere? I was plannign on disassembling my bluray because I'm curious about what kind of diode they used.

Do an Image search on Google for the different 650nm's (red) It's more then likely an LCC or LOC

The Blu-Ray (unless it's very high power >150mW) is a PHR

I would suggest you not take apart any laser you want to use again. If you don't know what diode it has by unscrewing the lens and looking, you have almost no chance of a successful dis-assemble/re-assemble.
BTW: You can not just unsolder the diode and re-solder one back in.
It involves checking the current on the driver,discharging the capacitor on the driver, proper ESD protection, etc.
Read up on all you can here, then you might have a chance to see the "light" again.