Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How did my laser get through customs?

Hi guys.

Would anyone know the legality of importing lasers into the Rep of Ireland because i ordered and received a 200mw 660nm laser from BudgetGadets.com but the funny thing is that it had being opened and closed again with duck tape and on the tape in bold red print is CUSTOMS OPENED.. so can someone tell me if it's case that they just allowed it through (even though the batteries were included) or is it a case that in Ireland there is no enforced law against importing them?

Either way i'm taking my chances with ordering a 500mw laser from lazerer this week ;)

Thanks for replies.

Stix62

I was under the impression Lasers aren't illegal to import into the UK (includes rep of ireland doesn't it?) but there's just some sales 'rule' about selling lasers over 1mW (or is it 5?) Anyway, thats just a rule and not a law, in the sales world.
I think if it was illegal your 200mW/660nm would have been confiscated. I don't think it would have been delivered to your door like that if it wasn't legal without it being attached to a police/customs man :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Well the Republic of Ireland isn't park of the UK but when you say it's not a law that means they can only confiscate and not press charges for trying to import? Ha i sure hope they will be as "understanding" in future with letting my lasers through lol :D

Stix62

They should be. If its been through customs once and they've opened it and then let it go to you, that says to me its ok. It would certainly be a good excuse should any problems arise in the future :D

bata

haha ya it would be. I know there is a law in the US about importing anything over 5mw is illegal but they aren't very good at stopping it :p. They only open it if it is coming from a flagged company or if its labeled as a laser. And lazerer labels them as flashlights so they get through customs. Plus you can buy insurance from them for 2 bucks :p.

D

Deleted member 22482

Same in Sweden.. Yourlasers declared them as laser and it was opened and I got it. What is even worse is that not only was the text laser, it was 200mW laser! Oh well.. Laserd are legal here, as long as they are not used in public places.

Benm

Well, if there simply is no legal ground to confiscate the laser or block its import into Ireland, that would be a very good reason ;)

You should understand that in the EU there are generally two types of 'illegal/banned' products:

- those you cannot legally own
- those you cannot legally sell retail

Lasers over 5 mW would probably fall only into the latter category: since they are unsafe to use, retailing them to consumers would probably be against the law. As far as i know the retail part hasnt been tested in court either though: It seems evident that a 200 mW laser pointer would be dangerous if it were sold as a presentation pointer. If it were sold as a tool for doing something else, and stipulated eye protection is mandatory for operation, that would be another matter.

The intended purpose does matter in these things: you can sell a chainsaw for the purpose of cutting down trees, but not as a high-powered nail clipper.