Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host options overseas

Hello,
I want to build something with a PLTB450B in the 100€ range, to replace my crappy Gatling.
For context, I live in Portugal.
I can buy the diode, module, and a G8 lens from Odicforce. I was going to get a C6 with an extended and tapered copper heatsink, along with a 1.25A driver, from Survival Laser. Turns out, the cheapest shipping option is 37€, which is a lot. I can probably build a driver myself if I do some research, so that leaves the host.
I can't find anything similar to Survival Laser for hosts, so are there any alternatives, preferrably not US based?

Last edited:

What is the main issue, shipping cost or import restrictions?

We do have a few members who might be able to make heatsinks. I'm not sure of any active machinist in the europe area. If you have access to a lathe, it isn't too much work to make a heatsink yourself. For the host you can probably just use a flashlight housing, machine or buy a heatsink for it. Flashlight hosts/housings shouldn't be too expensive from normal china sources I would think?

Sorry I can't help more.

Giannis_TDM

Hello,
I want to build something with a PLTB450B in the 100€ range, to replace my crappy Gatling.
For context, I live in Portugal.
I can buy the diode, module, and a G8 lens from Odicforce. I was going to get a C6 with an extended and tapered copper heatsink, along with a 1.25A driver, from Survival Laser. Turns out, the cheapest shipping option is 37€, which is a lot. I can probably build a driver myself if I do some research, so that leaves the host.
I can't find anything similar to Survival Laser for hosts, so are there any alternatives, preferrably not US based?
It's for the better anyway, This is not in order to promote my drivers in any way but the SL 1.25A driver leaves a bit to be desired by my testing... cost me an m140 in the past, wouldn't recommend it for anything besides an LED. Decent diode drivers for the one you mentioned are the super X drive, that driver has proved to be good in my testing. I will not say anything about my drivers, I'll let you form an opinion by yourself if they even spark your interest, I am located in Greece so you won't have to deal with customs if you're within the EU. In case you want to consider me as an option, Here's my website: https://sites.google.com/view/giannislasershack/home

In terms of hosts in the EU, sadly I am not aware of any maker. You could try modifying a flashlight by making your own heatsink as Mattronium said, it's a method that works really well.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, I was busy with a project and ended up forgetting.

What is the main issue, shipping cost or import restrictions?

We do have a few members who might be able to make heatsinks. I'm not sure of any active machinist in the europe area. If you have access to a lathe, it isn't too much work to make a heatsink yourself. For the host you can probably just use a flashlight housing, machine or buy a heatsink for it. Flashlight hosts/housings shouldn't be too expensive from normal china sources I would think?

Sorry I can't help more.
The issue is shipping cost. 37€ is just ridiculous. I don't have access to any kind of tools like that, can't make heatsinks myself. I am aware of the flashlights from China, the issue is getting a heatsink.

It's for the better anyway, This is not in order to promote my drivers in any way but the SL 1.25A driver leaves a bit to be desired by my testing... cost me an m140 in the past, wouldn't recommend it for anything besides an LED. Decent diode drivers for the one you mentioned are the super X drive, that driver has proved to be good in my testing. I will not say anything about my drivers, I'll let you form an opinion by yourself if they even spark your interest, I am located in Greece so you won't have to deal with customs if you're within the EU. In case you want to consider me as an option, Here's my website: https://sites.google.com/view/giannislasershack/home

In terms of hosts in the EU, sadly I am not aware of any maker. You could try modifying a flashlight by making your own heatsink as Mattronium said, it's a method that works really well.
Huh, I thought something was off with the 1.25A driver being much cheaper than their other fixed current options.

As I'm unable to make my own heatsink, I guess I'll stick to prebuilts.
Speaking of which, this is unrelated, but my green PL-E Mini's momentary on switch somehow got stuck in the on position, and I have to send it back to China for repair. The cheapest option I have is UPS at 59€, FML. I'm currently broke, only have about 120€ to spare and most of it will go towards the shipping and repair. When I save up some more I'll probably get another PL-E Mini, a 465nm 1.4W, about the same power as my Gatling but much brighter and with JetLasers's usual insane build quality.

If you have an old i_tel cpu cooler lying around, the copper center can be drilled out .

If you have an old i_tel cpu cooler lying around, the copper center can be drilled out .
I actually seriously considered this a year or two ago, even made a thread about it. Drilling the cooler (which mind you, is aluminum only and not copper for the intel stock ones) would be an issue since I don't have the tools for that, my idea was to file the diode module on one side until flat and stick it to the cooler with thermal adhesive, which doesn't sound that good in hindsight.
I think I'll just keep my Gatling for now, apart from the questionable internals there is no serious flaw with it, and the host has quite a bit of thermal mass due to its girth of 4cm (it weighs about 140g without batteries, tail cap, and lens holder, if I'm not mistaken, which is substantially more than a C6 build even with SL's biggest copper heatsink). I have no real complaints about it.

The older coolers , which can be found on fleabay (core 2) have a solid copper pill in the center. I have used a couple. You can either use a bench vise and piece of pipe to express it or saw through the aluminum fin portion to loosen the copper pill. If you know someone with a drill press, pick a bit slightly smaller than the 12mm modual or diode(module is better). you can use fine grit sand paper rolled, to achieve a nice fit.

The older coolers , which can be found on fleabay (core 2) have a solid copper pill in the center. I have used a couple. You can either use a bench vise and piece of pipe to express it or saw through the aluminum fin portion to loosen the copper pill. If you know someone with a drill press, pick a bit slightly smaller than the 12mm modual or diode(module is better). you can use fine grit sand paper rolled, to achieve a nice fit.
Didn't know about the older coolers having copper in the center, that's nice. However I have none of those tools, nor do I know anyone with them.

You can also take copper wire and wrap it around a 12mm aixis module. you can use heat sink epoxy to hold it in place.