Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade laser show help!!

So can someone please explain to me a little bit more in detail how this laser show works. It looks pretty simple I just dont understand like are there motors hooked up to the speakers or what.

+rep to someone who explains this to me. I am not looking to spend alot of money but I just want a laser show thats synced to music.

Thanks

edit: my dream would to be able to make something like this but I know I would have to spend alot of money and knowledge to make something like that.

Last edited:

Trevor

It's just a couple of front surface mirrors glued to speakers.

The speakers vibrate and cause the movement you see.

The title of the video makes the setup seem far more complex than it really is.

-Trevor

Thanks, do you think if I made that I could have it look anything like the second link I posted?

edit: I just noticed, what does that little DC motor do in the video next to the laser?

Last edited:
The first set-up has a couple of speakers with the "cone" elements removed and the mirrors are glued to the voice coils. Probably with one speaker for left and one for right channel sound, So when signal (sound) is played the mirrors vibrate instead of the "cone" at the frequencies that the original speaker would have worked. Turn it up louder and the motions will be bigger. All completely analog (unless you feed true tone signals from a waveform generator - which could be a fun way of making a spirograph type unit.)
The second set-up is a completely different thing. It is a computer (or on-board programmed chip for that matter) controlled x-y type of scanner unit using a single colored laser. All movements are performed by 2 controlled mirrors on precision electromechanical devices (galvos) using software.
And working towards making one of these is a big part of what a lot of us here are doing.

Hope this helps you out and I will watch for your progress and replies.