Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hit in the eye with 2.35 Watts. Had goggles on ...

Dude when i read the title i just thinked : holy sh#& that have to hurt !!!!!!!! Wearing Googles become super important for me after my friend shined me his (rated)10mw green laser in my eye (it was repairable so no real damage) its actual power was 12mW after that shock i saved all my money to buy safety goggles for every visible wavelength (400nm-700nm) i Know there is a big difference between your 2352mW and his 12mW but I mean it so that there is no differents in safety use between 5mW ,200mW,... its all same if you wear certified goggles nothing will happen to your eyesight.

Bought some flimsy $10 laser glasses from eBay (lime green color, really thin plastic). Kept getting headaches while working with my 405nm. Upgraded to a pair of Eagle that some folks suggested here and the difference in, well, everything is astounding. Granted it was $50 vs $10, but the OD4's are incredible. I have to be careful though because I can't see the beam at all; just the dot on the target surface.

They make pretty good driving glasses as well. :)

Benm

Goggles need not be expensive to be effective, but you should be weary of knock-offs that are basically just tinted sunglasses sold as laser protection equipment.

If you have a LPM and a powerful laser, you should simply shine it through the goggles to assert they provide a thousandfold (OD3) reduction or more. This could melt through the goggles fairly quickly though if they are made of plastic.

Goggles need not be expensive to be effective, but you should be weary of knock-offs that are basically just tinted sunglasses sold as laser protection equipment.

If you have a LPM and a powerful laser, you should simply shine it through the goggles to assert they provide a thousandfold (OD3) reduction or more. This could melt through the goggles fairly quickly though if they are made of plastic.

I got the OD4 Eagle Pair from Survival Lasers and they work amazingly well. But yes, I saw some fairly questionable googles on ebay. The $10 do well at reducing the beam and spot, so they seem to be absorbing the proper wave length, I just got tired of the headache. My roommate tried them and didn't get the headache, so I'm not sure.

But regardless, I'm glad I have the googles, cheap or not. After reading stories like these; there's no amount of money that can make up for lost vision.