Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Highest pulse current?

Hey guys!

I was wondering what the highest current I could throw at a 445nm would be, if it was just a millisecond pulse? Of course, it probably depends on how long the pulse is, but would 3A immediately fry it either way?

DrSid

Question is why do it ? It's not guaranteed the laser will give higher output.

Question is why do it ? It's not guaranteed the laser will give higher output.

It wont? I didn't realize that. I figured it will give have a higher output, along with much higher heat.

DrSid

Actually I never heard about using diode lasers in pulse mode. Pulse lasers are usually pulse for a reason. Either they use flash lamps as a pumping device .. and those can only fire in pulses. Or they use Q-switch .. medium is saturated with energy which is then released in short pulse by changing optical qualities of lasing cavity. Neither is used with diode lasers. Higher current can only be obtained by using higher voltage. And that's where we're pushing it.
But it might be interesting testing it .. with proper measuring equipment.

IIRC this question has been bounced around before. Some were saying that for a much higher peak power might be obtained, You would need to change the frequency of the currant as well, in addition to just increasing the amps for brief periods. Might be interesting to try, especially with the new 9mm diodes...

Peace, James

I think they don't mean pulsed like with lasers, but pulsed like with PWM. IIRC, isn't the limit set by how much "optical flux" the coated facet can take? I guess at some point, running the LD with a light duty cycle ought to give the facet time to dissipate heat, but the duty cycle would interfere with burning sick holes in plastic things :crackup: