Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High Wattage Red Laser Diode.

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
ISO of High Wattage Red Laser Diode. Not sure what diodes, wattage, or NM's are available. For a handheld project im working on. Essentially looking for the most visible red beam and dot (preferably beam visible during daylight). Would like to assemble myself but open to purchasing others builds. More interested in your opinion on the diode selection.

Last edited:

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
However I like the single mode reds better even though they are not as bright the divergence is better.

Remember SAFETY 1st and wear your laser safety glasses to attenuate the wavelength you are working with.
Thanks so much for the information! After some quick reading and searching I definitely don’t want the Mitsubishi ML562G85, although the wattage is enticing and what initially drew me to the diode, the unparalleled split beams are a nightmare! Lol. I don’t understand the difference in multi or single mode. Looking for more info now.

The practical answer as far as our available red laser diodes goes is the single mode reds will produce a nicer looking beam with a much better far field spot, but it won't be as bright as the multi mode reds, click the link below or more info.

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
It seams as if a multi mode wont be too much of a problem for my project, however im not too familiar with the c-mount diode. I like that its a full watt but what about mounting that into a hand held host, will it be more difficult? or not a problem?

You will likely want to stick to the 5.6mm and 9mm round laser diodes that you can use with the many available housing options or you can use one of these and modify it to accept M9x0.5 barreled lenses. I have cut those housings down and used a square of aluminum drilled and tapped for M9x0.5 lens barrels, I use a 21/64 drill bit.

Last edited: