Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High efficiency high output linear driver - will it work?

it should depending on the battery's used. i would probably use LiPo battery instead of LiIon for drawing this much current.
if you are planning on using this for a laser driver, it should be mentioned that it is a constant voltage regulator not constant current.
From the datasheet it should have a 0.4V drop. this is in a small TO-92 package for the regulator but the transistor is in a larger TO-220 package.
it should deliver 5V@4A as stated in the datasheet if built according to supplied schematic

Thanks for your input Won. This should - in theory - be fine with 18650s if they have 3Ah+ and a 2C discharge rating. I hooked it up this morning and played around with the resistors. Best I could get was 1190mA, so the batteries must be crapping out.

I guess it's all a moot point if it is a voltage regulator though. :p bummer.

I got a couple of sample regulators and bought 20 power transistors (cause I use these things all the time for other projects anyways), so there's no skin off my back. :)

djQUAN

It's a constant voltage regulator. It isn't ideal for driving diodes as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to make it go constant current.