Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi everyone :D

Hi everyone :D
I'm new in this forum, and I'd like to buy a green laser and I preferably want it to be bright (I mean a laser you can see both during the day and night), but not dangerous for eyes and also that can be see from afar (I mean, something like 3-4km more or less..).
I think I should buy a 35 or 50mW green laser (MAX50mW), but I'm not the expert so I don't know.
Which laser should I take?
Also, are they legal in Italy?

jimdt7

First of all HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM :wave:
You must know that safety glasses are necessary for lasers over 5mW.
Where will you be using your laser ? (Inside or outside)
With a 30mW of 532nm (green) laser you can see the beam at night but not at day :(

well, now I'm thinking... since I don't want to make anyone blind accidentally, and I saw that also 5mW green lasers are quite visible in the night and can reach about 3 or 4km of distance (am I right? xD), I'd rather go with a 5mW green laser.. do you agree?
Soooo... where should I buy it?

jimdt7

You have to be pointing the laser on an eye for some time to blind it with such a low power laser. Nobody sells 5mW green but i think there are some 10mW. And an advice, never trust those 5mW greens from ebay. They are always more than 5mW and sometimes about 25mW. Let me try to find a 10mW green for you.

Why isn't that a good offer?
Btw, I don't want something rubbishy, but I don't want to spend 25 dollars for a laser.
Again, why the offer i saw isn't good?(I'm not saying it with arrugance right now, I really wanna know why that's a bad offer, because I still don't know anything about lasers XP)

jimdt7

Why isn't that a good offer?
Btw, I don't want something rubbishy, but I don't want to spend 25 dollars for a laser.
Again, why the offer i saw isn't good?(I'm not saying it with arrugance right now, I really wanna know why that's a bad offer, because I still don't know anything about lasers XP)

Because these greens from ebay, arent 5mW. They are usually more than 10mW. The one that i send you is 5mW. Please read the FAQ that i posted to learn more about green lasers.

I'm reading it right now... so If I shouldn't buy on ebay.. where should I buy (but I don't want to spend too much :( )
Also, If i buy a true 5mW green laser, I will have no problem in shipping?
I should explain: months ago I bought on dealextreme a green laser (I don't know how much mW it was, but definitely it was>5mW, at least 15mW), and I also bought 5bumpers for iphone, but I didn't get anything because of the laser...
So if I buy a TRUE 5mW green laser, I won't have any problem, right?

Frankly, if I didn't have to pay 20dollars of additional shipping, I would have already bought it (I mean the laser you suggested me) xD!!!

Hey there new guy. Welcome to LPF.
Don't be so impatient and don't multi-post. It is considered to be bad forum ettiquette.
If you truly have something meaningful to add simply "edit" your previous post. Otherwise just wait for a reply.

What you should have learned from the indicated link is that many pointers on ebay are listed (and labelled) as 5mw to get through US restrictions banning pointers over 5mw.
The actual outputs can vary greatly with the most harmful being that unfiltered units can put out a great deal of invisible IR radiation that will burn a hole through an eye without anyone ever seeing it ! So a listed "5mw" might actually be putting out 20 mw of IR with 12.5mw of green 532nm. And the whole thing will last for about half the lifetime of the first charge on the batteries.
OR you could buy a properly constructed and precisely regulated 5mw from a reputable supplier that gives you the 5mw that you paid for for years and years to come.

For quite a while the US has had a ban on laser pointers over 5mw. Long enough that many of the cheap suppliers have even included that info on their websites. How is it that you didn't know about that when you made your order ? Did you not take the time to read the info from the websites you ordered from ?
I will say again, slow it down a little. These devices can be very dangerous. You need to understand them and respect them like any other potential weapon. These things can permanently blind someone across a room faster than a blink of an eye.
"You have to be pointing the laser on an eye for some time to blind it with such a low power laser." is not a true statement.
The green lasers are allowed in the 5mw range because the blink reflex should provide enough additional response to make the device safe. The light is bright enough to cause you to close your eyes before serious damage should be done. If you allow any long term exposure to a laser you will suffer permanent eye damage that you may not notice for many years. Even one of those cheap dollar store red ones could cause problems.
Be careful with whatever you choose to get.
:beer:

Hey there new guy. Welcome to LPF.
Don't be so impatient and don't multi-post. It is considered to be bad forum ettiquette.
If you truly have something meaningful to add simply "edit" your previous post. Otherwise just wait for a reply.

What you should have learned from the indicated link is that many pointers on ebay are listed (and labelled) as 5mw to get through US restrictions banning pointers over 5mw.
The actual outputs can vary greatly with the most harmful being that unfiltered units can put out a great deal of invisible IR radiation that will burn a hole through an eye without anyone ever seeing it ! So a listed "5mw" might actually be putting out 20 mw of IR with 12.5mw of green 532nm. And the whole thing will last for about half the lifetime of the first charge on the batteries.
OR you could buy a properly constructed and precisely regulated 5mw from a reputable supplier that gives you the 5mw that you paid for for years and years to come.

For quite a while the US has had a ban on laser pointers over 5mw. Long enough that many of the cheap suppliers have even included that info on their websites. How is it that you didn't know about that when you made your order ? Did you not take the time to read the info from the websites you ordered from ?
I will say again, slow it down a little. These devices can be very dangerous. You need to understand them and respect them like any other potential weapon. These things can permanently blind someone across a room faster than a blink of an eye.
"You have to be pointing the laser on an eye for some time to blind it with such a low power laser." is not a true statement.
The green lasers are allowed in the 5mw range because the blink reflex should provide enough additional response to make the device safe. The light is bright enough to cause you to close your eyes before serious damage should be done. If you allow any long term exposure to a laser you will suffer permanent eye damage that you may not notice for many years. Even one of those cheap dollar store red ones could cause problems.
Be careful with whatever you choose to get.
:beer:
Thank you very much :D
I will definitely go for this Green Laser Pointer |200mw|5mw|100mw|500mw - Green Laser Pointer - Buy form Warnlaser.com ... what the hell, I can spend some extra money, and at least I will have something not crappy which will last me a while, right?
Last question: can you assure me that I won't have any trouble in receiving it (I'm from Italy)? Thanks.

There are other here from Italy that will know much better than I. You should be looking into it yourself too.
If there are any possible problems the usual method is to have the supplier send the main body in one shipment and the power module (batteries) and connector (tailcap) in a second shipment. You end up paying extra for shipping but it complies with most countries laws as each piece is, by itself, a non-functioning part of a laser system.
But you should be making yourself an expert in your own situation.
Then you will be able to advise the others on how to do it.
:D

There are other here from Italy that will know much better than I. You should be looking into it yourself too.
If there are any possible problems the usual method is to have the supplier send the main body in one shipment and the power module (batteries) and connector (tailcap) in a second shipment. You end up paying extra for shipping but it complies with most countries laws as each piece is, by itself, a non-functioning part of a laser system.
But you should be making yourself an expert in your own situation.
Then you will be able to advise the others on how to do it.
:D

Well, last time I didn't receive my laser bought on dealextreme, and so I lost about 8-9dollars (about 6€ for me), so it was not a big deal.
But, to be honest now I don't want t lose 45dollars (about 32€), so I would like to know if I'll have some kind of troubles in the shipping.
I'm gonna check on internet, but if someone could help me, that would be great :) .