Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey I'm new. Got a question

Jonny 717

Hey I'm new :) I just got my first laser and I have a couple safety questions. I have a 800mw 445nm laser and I'm wondering if looking at the dot at a distance can do eye damage and looking at the beam can do eye damage. I have safety glasses but I'm but I'd like to know because I only have one set and I'd like to show people

gazer101

Personally, unless those people are family members who I know would not sue me in the case of an accident (say one of them trips and falls into the beam somehow magically) or you have limited liability, I wouldn't risk it. The chance of an accident is low, but the repercussions are so high that there is no point risking it

Jonny 717

Thanks for the response. I understand accidents always can happen but my question is more regarding just looking at the dot that's let's say pointed 20 yards away or just looking down the beam, is there a possibility of damage from that alone?

Jonny 717

Personally, unless those people are family members who I know would not sue me in the case of an accident (say one of them trips and falls into the beam somehow magically) or you have limited liability, I wouldn't risk it. The chance of an accident is low, but the repercussions are so high that there is no point risking it
I guess a simplified version of my question is it necessary to wear safety glasses when using outside and only pointing at far objects?

Encap

Hey I'm new :) I just got my first laser and I have a couple safety questions. I have a 800mw 445nm laser and I'm wondering if looking at the dot at a distance can do eye damage and looking at the beam can do eye damage. I have safety glasses but I'm but I'd like to know because I only have one set and I'd like to show people

Have a look at this Laser Hazard Chart and figure from there.
https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

See/study this page and others on that site : https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/hazard_distance_chart.html

If you want to know how to calcualte ocular/eye hazards from exposure to Laser light and for a lot of other imortant information, this beyond excellent web site is the place to go and learn from: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

Last edited:

Jonny 717

Have a look at this Laser azard Chart and figure from there.

See/study this page and others on that site :

If you want to know how to calcualte Laser Hazards and for a lot of other information this beyond excellent web site is the place to go and learn from:
Thanks! What I can't find is the distance in which eye damage is possible from behind the laser. As if I'm holding it pointing it at something 20 yards away, if someone is standing right next to me looking down the beam at toe dot is it possible to damage eyes? I'm not sure I'm explaining what I mean well lol

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You want us to tell you that it will be ok but we can't say that. The moment anyone tells you that they are liable if you do something stupid. I will say this, you should be fine but be aware of reflective surfaces and accidents can happen when you least expect it. Think of it as a loaded gun and treat it as such.