Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with wiring power supply for 40W CO2 laser

Hope someone can help me out with probably a simple question. My son and I had an Arctic Blue and that was fun for a while. After watching some YouTube videos, I decided to buy a 40W CO2 laser tube, got water pump, and power supply (MYJG40W Chinese model, www.jnmydy.com) came today that is made for a laser engraving machine. I suppose it wasn't as simple as the YouTube video showed with someone plugging in to the AC and connecting the positive and negative to the tube. It only has one wire, red, which I assume is the positive DC. Surely, it's quite obvious I know nothing about electrical stuff. Can anyone help me get this hooked up. I know this is dangerous high voltage, so I will do this at my own risk. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Aleksa

The Big fat red wire goes to the anode of the CO2 tube,the cathode goes to ground(chassis).

The power supply should have included a wiring diagram. Typically it is wired like the attached picture.

attachment.php

The first one is the simplest circuit. Power output of the laser is controlled by the 5K pot.

Don't assume this is the correct wire diagram for your power supply. Get the proper one for your model.

Attachments

• PS-Control_zps0812f1da.jpg
    PS-Control_zps0812f1da.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6,108

joeyss

You might want to get a pair of electrician gloves if you're messing around with HV gas lasers other than HeNes.

HeNes will just give you a little shock.

the others might not be so forgiving.

What wavelength is it? I'm thinking of building a 50w co2 laser with a visible wavelength, is it possible?