Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with power supply

Hello I am new and have looked around very hard but can not find out how to turn a computer power supply into a power supply for my newest laser if any one could help me with this I would appreciate it thank you

el-gato-naranjo-del-sabado.png

You're new, so I'll cut you a break, but there is more than one type of laser in existence. Please be more specific.

If you want to use the computer power supply, I recommend well-regulated diode driver before you cram the juice into diode, otherwise POOF!

I will list color of wires and voltage of a common ATX PSU if no one mind:
Orange - 3.3 Volts
Red - 5 Volts
Yellow - 12 Volts
Green - Power - on
Gray - Power Ok
Blue - ( - ) 12 Volts
Purple - ( - ) 5 Volts (commonly used for power supply controller keep-alive power on motherboard)
Black - ground return

To turn it on, simply short black wire to green wire. However, be cautioned, the PSU wants hefty load on both 12 V and 5 V, even though I have gotten away with running it no-load (due to load resistor inside the PSU), otherwise you will fry laser or be the witness to the PSU firework. And they definitely also carry a lot of punch - 5 to 70 Amps depending on rated wattage of PSU.

Otherwise, PC PSU's a better choice for gas laser, such as Helium-Neon or even Carbon Dioxide laser which are powered by 12 Volts switchmode inverter due to amperage consumption on the power input (and be careful, those PSUs are lethal, you don't want to make even a single mistake on them, or better yet don't work on them until you are comfortable with high voltage safety rules).

Last edited:
If you want to use the computer power supply, I recommend well-regulated diode driver before you cram the juice into diode, otherwise POOF!

I will list color of wires and voltage of a common ATX PSU if no one mind:
Orange - 3.3 Volts
Red - 5 Volts
Yellow - 12 Volts
Green - Power - on
Gray - Power Ok
Blue - ( - ) 12 Volts
Purple - ( - ) 5 Volts (commonly used for power supply controller keep-alive power on motherboard)
Black - ground return

To turn it on, simply short black wire to green wire. However, be cautioned, the PSU wants hefty load on both 12 V and 5 V, even though I have gotten away with running it no-load (due to load resistor inside the PSU), otherwise you will fry laser or be the witness to the PSU firework. And they definitely also carry a lot of punch - 5 to 70 Amps depending on rated wattage of PSU.

Otherwise, PC PSU's a better choice for gas laser, such as Helium-Neon or even Carbon Dioxide laser which are powered by 12 Volts switchmode inverter due to amperage consumption on the power input (and be careful, those PSUs are lethal, you don't want to make even a single mistake on them, or better yet don't work on them until you are comfortable with high voltage safety rules).

Thank you very much!