Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with laser project

Hi everyone! I'm VERY new here (1 week...) and I need a TON (not really) of help with my laser project.

My background: I am a 13yr. old 7th grader that has an EXTREME interest in "tinkering" and building things. I had seen the KipKay video "Cheapy Lighter Laser Burner" and I LOVED the idea (all around aspect, not just burning.). So I approached my mom, she gave the OK, my dad...not so much.
Long story short(er), we ended up purchasing non burning parts so I can't light stuff on fire. I'm very responsible and would NOT be stupid enough to point it around indoors anyways...

SO!

I have...
(1) Aixiz 405nm/445nm laser driver
(2) Aixiz 405nm lasers (accidentally purchased 2...let me know what I can do with the 2nd!)
(2) 12v batteries (to take buton cells out of!)
(1) Small momentary switch (button)
(∞) 4.3 ohm resistors (they came in a bundle :yh:)
(1 reel) Rosin core solder

NOW

Sadly, Kip's video shows a different driver (one that costs $45+...). His vid said go to Laserdiy.com. I didn't. His parts section on his website said other wise. I went with the parts.
So Aixiz has been GREAT with their service...but I need help.
I'm not sure how to wire this.
A tutorial online showed these kids just hooking their modules (650nm I believe) right up to the batteries (with a switch between) and they were shining them around for a bit...like a few days.
But I know that I probably need the driver and all.
I was told that the resistors might not be needed.
AGAIN!
I am a 7th GRADER. I have NO EXPERIENCE with anything like resistance and load and etc... I am willing to learn!;)

How does one think that this project shall be set up and wired?
ALSO
I have seen videos (like Kip's) not show any wires connecting to the negative contact on the driver...:wtf:
I thought that you had to have a negative to complete the circuit?

Thanks a million,
Ryan

DrSid

For 13 year old you sound reasonable enough. Anyway, you should start with weaker lasers. I guess you already have some 1mW red lasers, all boys do. But let's sat 50mW green or 200mW red (which could be built !) would be a good start. Both will require safety precautions, like goggles, controlled environment. Both can burn stuff, but not really set things on fire.
Any damage to property or health (well, eyes especially) would be still a lot smaller then from 1W 445nm laser. Also the build will be cheaper, which is important, if you fail. And you better expect that you will fail for the first time.
We recommend this 'step up' process for everybody, not just boys. Anyway, I personally don't want to see 1W laser in hands of a minor (no offense). Same way I don't want to see a gun in their hands. Your parents my approve, but I wonder if they were really well educated about what 1W can do. Especially what it can do to peoples eyes, especially yours.

Not that adults can't be stupid :beer:

And some good reading for everybody wanting 1W laser ..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

PS. hey, I should not give you beer, should I ?