Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with first build

I am probably going to be building a Blu-ray laser with a Flexdrive set at 120 mA. I have a lot of questions, though, and if anyone could take the time to answer them, that would be great!

1. What materials are and are not required from this list? What am I missing? So far, I have:
-803T diode
-Aixiz module
-Flexdrive/rkcstr driver
-Host
-Aixiz lens (???)

2. How much power would this put out?

3. How well could this laser burn?

4. Would this laser be focusable? If so, how?

5. Is there anyone willing to mount a 405nm diode and a driver set to 120mA in an Aixiz module for me? If so, how much would you charge? (The reason for this is because I am not so sure of my skills at doing this and would like to see a premade example for future builds so that I don't waste expensive supplies.) If so, please reply or PM me.

Thank you!
-Mark

Q#2. How much power would this put out?

What host/batteries are you going to use? That will help determine which driver to select.

Q#3. How well could this laser burn?

At 120mA, not nearly as well as a high powered red, but they're more visually spectacular!

Q#4. Would this laser be focusable? If so, how?

Yes, the Aixis module has a threaded focusing lens w/ trim ring, turn it in all the way ;)

Thanks for your help! What driver should I use? I was thinking the Flexdrive, but I'm not quite sure. Also, what batteries should I use to obtain maximum power on the same current?

-Mark

The Flexdrive would be good.the rkcstr driver is nice as well, but it needs a higher input voltage to run. Unless your host uses 9V batteries, go with the Flexdrive. As for batteries, use lithium primaries or Sanyo Eneloop rechargables. The input voltage for the driver is 2.5V to ~5.5V, but if it totals higher, hooking up a diode in series with the driver will raise the allowed input to 6V. Good luck with your build.
EDIT: Changed to the right values.

Thanks! Do you mean Eneloop AA batteries? How many would I need, 4? (They only put out 1.2 or so volts each, so 4 would be about 4.8 volts.)

-Mark