Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with a soldering question...

Just built my first laser, and this info came in handy. A week ago I would never have been able to solder what I just did, thanks everyone for the help.

As soon as I sat down, my Weller ran out of butane. So I went to sears and bought a cheap craftsmen 30w iron. Worked fine, but I wasn't a fan of the fat pointed tip, I would rather have a flat tip...
I'm going to look into a cheap soldering station after the holidays are done..

Get a soldering station (temperature control) and read a little about the basic care of the welder, for example:

-After use, clean the soldering tip (when you put it in the base) and clean again before using it again (when you remove it from the base), but NEVER clean the tip when you no longer going to use the soldering iron (turning it off), if you forget and clean, put some tin on it.

-Never sand the soldering tip (to make it thinner), if necessary, replace with a thinner one.

-Read what the melting temperature of your tin (it can change depending on the mix), and always use only a little over this temperature to make new solder, to remove an old solder, always use a little more heat (than when making a new one) and if you see that it does not melt quickly, then increase the temperature a little more.

-Never stay in one spot for more than a few seconds.

-Always clean the area to be welded, preferably with isopropyl alcohol.

-To help in welding, use some flux.