Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP: LPM Sensor wiring.

Well, I purchased an old Coherent Laser Power/Energy Meter on ebay for a pretty good deal. It even came with the thermopile sensor, which I must say, was bigger and much better quality than I expected. The only problem is, the two parts did not come wired together. I have several pictures and I tried inquiring Coherent about the product, but they don't have records going back to 1987. Mainly, I am wondering how thermopile sensors work, since I may end up using the sensor and either making a display or else purchasing a compatible meter display. The sensor has 4 wires it looks like - two for BNC connection, and another set of white and black. I understand the concept of a thermopile sensor (it produces a certain mV per mW, correct?) but my question is does it PRODUCE it, or does it let through? Basically, I metered the wires for voltage coming out when shining a laser or powerful flashlight on it, and I didn't get any readings. Do the sensors need to be powered, and if so, by what voltage?

Additionally, I know it may be hard to see the traces on the circuit board, so I may upload a bigger picture or else forget about salvaging it. However; I found two wires going to the AC-DC transformer built in, and I think I found where the power comes in, but who knows for sure since the one LED on the object did not light up. If anyone has any info on how power meter heads work, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

If you can see in these last two pictures, it looks like there are two traces going to the AC-DC module. It appears those two wires are wrapped in white tubing, different than all the other wires. Tracing back to the front, those two wires are right next to the big green one which is obviously ground. Thus, I assume those are the power input wires, and I am assuming it runs off 110AC since the serial number ends in a "/110", but again, all these are assumptions of a topic I don't know much about, so if anyone thinks otherwise, it is appreciated.

Little bump

Surely some members on the forum here know how commercial grade thermopile sensors work. Do they need to be powered, and if so, by what voltage?

Little bump

Surely some members on the forum here know how commercial grade thermopile sensors work. Do they need to be powered, and if so, by what voltage?

Well... 1st of all that is no Thermopile Sensor...
It has what appears to be a glass lens that leads me to believe
it is an Optical Sensor

Secondly... The input to the Amplifier is labeled J2 Photo Input
which also leads me to believe it is an Optical Sensor.

Without schematics of some sort we would only be guessing..
unless someone has a similar unit.

Photo sensors can easily be biased as low as 1V and as High
as 48V or higher. It all depend on the Photo sensor's specs.

Then you will need to get it calibrated for each different
wavelength of Laser you want to Detect and will no doubt
need an Optical Correction Chart to compensate for the
Optical curve of that unknown Sensor..

It looks like a long and winding road....IMO

Jerry

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like your right, will be a bit tricky. But, I really appreciate your response quite a bit. Thanks for the help :), looks like I'll be needing to do a bit more research now, perhaps I'll be back later when I get more info.

But, you say it must be powered though, correct? Are they usually constant DC powered, or through other means? What I'm basically asking is, the BNC connection goes to Photo Input, yes, so the other two wires must be for power input for the sensor? If that is the case, then perhaps I could try powering the unit where I think AC power goes, connect the power connections for the sensor up to my variable lab power supply, connect the bnc connection, and gradually increase the voltage to the sensor and see if the dial moves and if so, increase until it gets accurate readings, then check with my multimeter on all the wires coming out to see if something gives out that voltage.

I guess I am mostly talking to myself above^^ but if there is a question I'm asking, it's mainly if optical sensors like that are usually powered by a constant DC voltage source, or if they need something else?

I have no idea what is attached on the other side of the
PCB...
There may be biasing resistors or even a pre-amp in the head
or maybe nothing... IDK...
All those scenarios require different voltages and or circuits.
Normally.... Photo Diode Sensor detectors (if that is what is
used in the head... again IDK)... use a dc voltage...

But you may burn out the Photo Diode if it is not current
limited... Similar but not the same as an LED or Laser Diode.

It's like trying to thread a needle in complete and total darkness..
There is not enough info for someone in another room to Know
what you have in front of you..

Jerry