Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP Incorrectly Calibrated Focus O-like 1 Watt 445nm

Hello, so I recently purchased the $55 445nm 1 Watt laser from o-like. I've purchased from them before, and I trust them. Anyway, everything was all fine and dandy when I received the laser. Shortly after, I noticed that when I spun the focus back to its "original" position (where it should be a straight beam), it was not focused and had a large dot. In order to get a straight beam, I have to manually focus otherwise to achieve that. I don't know what happened or how to fix it. I would like it to return to a straight beam when I spin back the focus the entire way. I know this was worded poorly, but hopefully you guys can catch my drift. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds like the lens came a bit unscrewed (or screwed too far in) from the focus assembly. (focus ring) You'll have to remove the focus assembly and screw the lens back in a bit then put it back on the host and test to see if its screwed in enough. When I do this, after finding the "sweet spot," I typically put a very very small amount loctight on the threads to keep the lens in place in the focus assembly.

Last edited:
I've already examined over the laser. I've had it apart and I cant find a spot where i can screw the lens back in or out. There is just the focus lens and thats it.

It does but that's not even how you focus the laser. I believe it only provides a protection to the lens within. When it screws off, the focus does not change at all

mine doesn't go all the way down to get a straight beam either. it's the way it's supposed to be.
it requires some force to get that focusing ring to turn anyway so once focussed it will stay focussed.

but if you really want to. see images.
the red arrow is a collomating lensScreenshot_19.pngScreenshot_20.png. on the first image you can see the threads it runs in and that it still has some room to move up.
if you can somehow get it further out. then it would allow you to tighten the focus ring all the way like you want.

it's a really decent build body. nothing feels flimsy. (i even designed a case for it in fusion 360 wich i 3d printed Screenshot_21.png

i do have a question for myself and i was hoping you might have picked up on that somewhere that i have missed.
what is the duty cycle of this thing? is it safe to keep it lit for a minute or 2. or is it safe to keep it lit for only 30 seconds. or maybe even till the battery runs out?? (it does get warm and at that point i usually stop out of precaution)

rest of the images so you have an idea of what the insides look like.
seems like a standard laser diode. in a verry small brass heatsink

Screenshot_22.pngScreenshot_23.pngScreenshot_24.pngScreenshot_25.pngScreenshot_26.png

oh forgot to mention. i have about a 1 to 1.5 mm gap when it's focussed in a beam. Screenshot_27.png

and on a side note. i know this is quite a necromance. i blame the search function.