Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identifying and powering diodes

Hi all, I found these diodes at a surplus store and I don't know too much about them other than the box they were in was labeled 904nm 8w pulsed. At first I didn't even realize there were two different diodes until I looked closely under an eye loop. These diodes appear to be pulled from some sort of an array as they are all numbered sequentially on the back and side with a sharpie.

5678-mysterydiode2.jpg

5679-mysterydiode4.jpg

5680-mysterydiode5.jpg

5681-mysterydiode6.jpg

So, how can I power these to test them? I bought a couple 555 timers in hopes that I could use them to setup a pulsed driver, but I've never done that and haven't been able to find very much info about it via the search button. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Cyparagon, thanks for the link.

I happened to be near the place I picked up these diodes from, so I stopped by and asked if they had any info on them. All they could provide me with was the lable on the box so I snapped a pic.

5682-mysterydiode7.jpg

I know these aren't exactly high output diodes but I'd like to get them functioning. I'm guessing they were used in ranging.

Helios

They are IR so you need a variable amperage power source that can provide 1-3V and then just start low like 100mA and start to increase from there with the diode in a good heatsink. At each currently level plot the powerVScurrent on an xy graph. Output power on left current on bottom. Then as you go look for where the graph starts to level off and usually thats where a true max output will be. Sometimes it will not level off and you may over power the diodes and destroy them. But if you have several and no spec sheet that may just be what you have to do. If the first one blows at 1000mA then set the second one to 6-800mA.

This one maybe is not the same, but could be similarly.

This model in particular that I give, usually works at 50ns, 1 kHz.

Anyway here you have the technical data in PDF format to give you an idea.

http://www.roithner-laser.com/previous/All_Datasheets/Laserdiodes/PLD904-8-T.pdf

And for the driver look here, in the section "Pulsed Laser Diode Drivers" maybe can help a little.

Sam's Laser FAQ - Diode Laser Power Supplies

I hope to be helpful

Very helpful indeed, thank you! I should have known to check Sam'a FAQ:banghead: However, I'm not sure where I'm going to get a 200VDC power supply:thinking: Anyway, thanks again +1 rep!

They are IR so you need a variable amperage power source that can provide 1-3V and then just start low like 100mA and start to increase from there with the diode in a good heatsink. At each currently level plot the powerVScurrent on an xy graph. Output power on left current on bottom. Then as you go look for where the graph starts to level off and usually thats where a true max output will be. Sometimes it will not level off and you may over power the diodes and destroy them. But if you have several and no spec sheet that may just be what you have to do. If the first one blows at 1000mA then set the second one to 6-800mA.

Thank you for the suggestion. I unfortunately do not have an LPM yet (I know, it's a long over due investment) and with the driver being pulsed I'm not sure how much data I can accurately record without having more sophisticated equipment. I will however attempt to get this one of these diodes going and I'll be sure to post back with any info. Thanks for the help!