Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help First Build!

Lane

Ok, so I'm working on my first build a phr in a pocket mini host and I bought a phr sled so that I could get the optics too. I removed the diode from the heatsink and the glass window is still intact, but I can't figure out how to remove the ribbon on it or is it ok to leave it on there and just cut off the protruding parts of the ribbon. Also I would like to avoid the solder blob method just because it doesn't have the heatsink on it and I don't want to ruin my first diode.

Thanks in advance,
Lane

If you are careful, you can cut away the edges of the ribbon using a razor blade or sharp craft knife, then push it into the Aixiz module before desoldering the remaining junk (solder ball and tweezers?). The Aixiz module should offer enough heatsinking for this, but don't continually apply heat - short bursts of work, 5 seconds or less, are advisable. Don't let the solder slip down and touch the base either - use a small blob - if it gets on the can it is difficult to remove.

If you push the diode into the module without removing (at least the outer-most parts of) the ribbon, you risk damaging the pins.