Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help building laser for physics class

Im new here so ill take whatever i can get... This chapter in my senior physics class were learning about optics and light dispersion etc and during the lecture our teacher (kind of off-the-wall cool teacher) says he remembers a science project where a kid built a 5watt laser that could just about cut through sheet metal. Me and my friend said you can build lasers? He said of course. So we vowed to build him a laser and he said wed get extra credit. We dont really need it that bad but it would be a sweet project. I do alot of electrical work in cars so im competant with wiring and i know how to solder. Ive seen alot of people making them out of maglights and a dvd burner diodes. I realize that they can pop balloons and light matches. It doesnt need to be much more powerful than that but id like it to be a little more powerful at least. Thanks for all your responses in advance. Eric

How much more powerful than popping balloons and lighting matches are you talking? If you want something more powerful than that, you are going to need to use infrared lasers.
Also, that minimag mod doesn't work. That method makes a laser that dies in a matter of minutes.

if the maglight doesnt work what do you suggest i do. I want it to smolder wood. IR light isnt in the visible spectrum, correct? So i wouldn't even be able to see where i was aiming it?

emanpimpster said:
if the maglight doesnt work what do you suggest i do. I want it to smolder wood. IR light isnt in the visible spectrum, correct? So i wouldn't even be able to see where i was aiming it?
If you are wanting to smolder wood, you are going to need a big IR laser (you will not be able to see the dot on the laser) You can't get a visible laser that burns wood for under a few thousand dollars. You can make red lasers that make wood smoke for about $100.

so what would i need to make wood smoke? what kind of parts would i need to get are there any how tos?

p.s. the maglite mod only dies if you're retarded. I made a dvd burner laser that runs on 2 AA batteries with no resistance circuit or regulator, and it has been running strong for months. I have ran several fresh pairs of batteries through it.

Well you must be really lucky, i made one that died within 5 days and tons of other peoples died, thing is that fresh batteries can give voltage spikes upward of 10v which is instant death to the diode.

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Ace82

thebucketmouse said:
p.s. the maglite mod only dies if you're retarded. I made a dvd burner laser that runs on 2 AA batteries with no resistance circuit or regulator, and it has been running strong for months. I have ran several fresh pairs of batteries through it.

Alright, another one! I've built two diy reds with sony 16X dvd 140mW laser diodes running straight off 2 AAA NiMH. I bought the two diodes for $24 ($12 ea.) on ebay and they both have ben running strong for 5 months now, and I abuse the heck out of them.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205047730

anybod have info on building an infrared laser or a red laser? Also, ive seen on youtube where a kid makes a laser and hooks it up to a 100ohm potentiometer. Would making a laser with this method help preserve the life of the laser diode and make the maglight last longer?

Switch

emanpimpster said:
anybod have info on building an infrared laser or a red laser?  Also, ive seen on youtube where a kid makes a laser and hooks it up to a 100ohm potentiometer.  Would making a laser with this method help preserve the life of the laser diode and make the maglight last longer?

Yea there's tons of examples of home made red lasers in the Experiments and Modifications section.Infrared diode lasers would go pretty much the same way.Besides, you are way better off making a circuit for your diode.I'm sure your physics teacher will give you extra points for that, instead of just hooking up a diode to batteries ::).IR diodes are normally available in higher powers than the red ones.